Thread: HO Question

Post Likes
    Am I losing it?

Situation: New heat pump/new programmable thermostat installed by licensed HVAC tech. Metro Atlanta area temp. outdoors is HOT and humid.

Problem: Programmable thermostate is 'magically' resetting itself from 70's setting to 85 and it is going off hold.

Environment: Two teen girls 19 years old, 1 teen boy 14 years old. They all swear they never touch it.

Am I losing it? Can a programmable thermostat (which was never programmed) randomly and I mean randomly reset itself to another temp. and take it self off hold?

I keep telling my wife the kids are messing with it. They deny it.

Post Likes
    ...strange indeed.
    What kind of programmable stat is it west_seth?

Post Likes

Thermostat type

It is a White Rodgers 1F82 261 and it is for a heat pump. Installer did the install.

I am thinking about going back to an old timey non programmable type.

Post Likes
    I`ve had the same problem with the w/r if stats,not all of them ,just a few.I programed to the settings that you have when you had it on hold,so when it switched off hold it still had your settings.I really don`t know why some do that.

Post Likes

Mystery solved......

I printed off the instructions off the internet and read them. Can't say I understand every little setting but you all were right. The thing can and does reset itself, in my case to factory settings, despite being on hold to 85 degrees as per factory default. So I re-programmed it to a constat temp. in the 70's thus not really using the energy saving mode.

I've got to go hug the kids they said all along it was the thermostat. No it was dear old Dad. But I did think hold meant hold meant hold. Not sure why installer did not leave the book that came with it but it was on the website.

Thanks all.

Wes

Post Likes
    I'm not sure about that particular stat, but some stats have temporary & permanent holds, as 2 separate modes. If you just adjust the temperature using the up/down buttons, usually this will put a digital thermostat into a temporary hold, which usually only lasts for a few hours or until the next programmed period, then it will automatically reset back to the program temperatures. Some thermostats will only allow temporary holds, although this is usually done on commercial setups.

So, make sure you're actually using the permanent hold instead of the temporary one... This is usually accomplished by pushing a Hold or Permanent Hold button.

Post Likes
    These t-stats only have 1 hold button that sopposed to over-ride factory setting, BUT they all got a mind of their own.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in