Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    When soldering tin what type of solder and flux do you use,is heat source open flame or heated tip and do you sand the tin to scuff it?

You sand the surface until it is bright, use acid flux and either 50/50 or 60/40 solder. Pretty easy to do actually.

However, never use acid flux on wires for electrical circuits.

Damn! This takes me back a few decades. Any of you old timers remember using Ruby Fluid and bar solder for soldering tin and galvanized steel?

Used to make all my own soldered drain pans before the plastic jobbies cam out. Also made some wild custom chimney caps.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Oh yea, I used to make my own pans too....heat up the solder iron with a torch and solder those corners baby ! I used to make copper pans for showers for some plumbers as well.

In fact, I remember way back in high school when we had a little propane fired oven thingy that you would stick the solder iron into to heat it up after you sanded it. Well one day during lunch or gym or something, we all sneaked back into the shop and welded up a grill to put over it and were cooking burgers and dogs. We had the tool coral turned into a frigin burger barn ! we had one kid with a kiss the cook apron on and buns everywhere. Well needless to say, when the shop teacher walked in......the resturant closed !

I had one of those gas heaters in my shop for my soldering irons. Just goes to show they don't make stuff like they used to....thank the Lord

Still do lots of soldering of galvanized for custom work, and find muriatic acid for flux, 50/50 bar solder and electric iron work best for small jobs and it doesn't require any sanding. Just remember to wipe off excess acid off metal after.

[Edited by bmc on 06-25-2005 at 01:48 PM]

I know this is the year 2005 but we still solder ---ALOT--of things . we use small soldering furnaces . An open nat gas flame to heat the old fassion copper Irons

remember the expression "to many irons in the fire"?

we use 50/50 and muratic acid also with sal amoniac stiocks

muriatic and lead bar those were the days
    low flame and let it flow
    been a long time since that
    acid flux and 40/60 and low flame will do the same thing

Ruby Fluid has zinc chloride in it. It is considered a tinning and flux agent for soldering.
    http://www.jenkinsslate.com/store_solder.html#rubyfluid

[Edited by RoBoTeq on 06-26-2005 at 03:12 PM]

I can remember installing gravel stop on new apartment roofs.

We used a charcoal stove about a foot in diameter and about 2 feet tall to heat the irons.

It had legs to keep the stove off the roof and a wound wire handle on top to carry it.

You could also use it to cook lunch.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

we also have the burner that mounts to the propane bottle

any ideas on soldering copper with a filler that matches the color.? we do alot of custom homes and copper fixtures seem to be the thing in those tracts. Copper gutters and downspouts , Kitchen Hoods

Used to solder a lot of copper in the past, can't remember the name of the stuff we used to rub on the solder after to make it copper color. Think it was called copper nitrate or copper sulphate, came in blue crystals I am sure.
    "Go big or Go Home"

yea ,I know what you are talking about, I think it is copper sulfide crystals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast