A family member recently had a gas furnace/coil installed behind a knee wall in a cape cod style house. The walls have access doors for service. Must the doors be louvered type for ventilation purposes? The inspection is next week and if we can replace the doors before then and pass it will be a lot more conventient than having to schedule another inspection. Thanks again.

Do these doors open to the exterior or interior? If interior the furnace must be provided with combustion air acquired from outside.

This air is to be taken from outdoor air ONLY. The attic space should either be:

1.commonly attached to main attic which is ventilated
    2.Have ventilation available in the attic that the furnace is in.
    3.A 90% gas furnace may have a dedicated vent tube running to the outside for combustion air.

What is the brand and efficiency of the gas furnace?

[Edited by bb on 06-24-2005 at 10:23 PM]

Wink ventilation

Thanks bb. The furnace is a LUxaire and I am not sure of the efficiency. The doors open to the interior of the 2nd floor living space. I am going to recommend he call the installer before the inspection. These houses are basically 1 1/2 story homes where the attic has been turned into bedrooms resulting in slanted ceiling rooms with knee walls. I did not think it was acceptable practice to "bury" a furnace in a crawl space with no intake air. When the install was done we were doing some carpentry type renovation and the area was open. I guess that is why the installer never addressed the ventilation requirement. Thanks for your help.

Re: ventilation

Originally posted by nickm
    Thanks bb. The furnace is a LUxaire and I am not sure of the efficiency. The doors open to the interior of the 2nd floor living space. I am going to recommend he call the installer before the inspection. These houses are basically 1 1/2 story homes where the attic has been turned into bedrooms resulting in slanted ceiling rooms with knee walls. I did not think it was acceptable practice to "bury" a furnace in a crawl space with no intake air. When the install was done we were doing some carpentry type renovation and the area was open. I guess that is why the installer never addressed the ventilation requirement. Thanks for your help.
    Well he sure needs to. As I stated before 90% eff furnaces usally have a second pipe going outside. if yours is an 80% or has only 1 flue going out, then the attic must be ventilated.
    Hopefully, your local code enforcement would catch something that you did. Good Work !