Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by jedholmes1
    I am not well educated on HVAC systems and always used the cheap blue fiber filters until recently. I had know idea they were that bad. I am now using the electricstatically charged filter. None of the service people that I had out to do a routine check on the system in the last 4 years ever explained to me the importance of good filters and now I'm paying the price. The ducts were said to be good and sealed, but then again I'm taking the word of the same people that never told me about the filters either.
    You actually went from good to bad by using the piece of junk electrostatic filter. They restrict the air to much and can and do cause major damage to the compressor. With the electrostatic you have cut your total BTU output of your system down to around 60% with the very restrictive electrostatic filter. You should have a real contractor come out who is fully knowledgeable in air flow and design. They could install a 4 inch media filter for you and evaluate your whole duct system to make sure it is sized correctly for your application.

Thumbs down VALUE

Originally posted by oil lp man
    I would charge at least $500. But if I bump my head on a roof nail that price would double.
    CHEAPER THAN E_BAY ! !! !!!

Note that fractured heads are now going for only $500 on HVAC_Talk
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

Re: Thanks

I am not well educated on HVAC systems and always used the cheap blue fiber filters until recently. I had know idea they were that bad. I am now using the electricstatically charged filter. None of the service people that I had out to do a routine check on the system in the last 4 years ever explained to me the importance of good filters and now I'm paying the price. The ducts were said to be good and sealed, but then again I'm taking the word of the same people that never told me about the filters either.
    Your wet coil is about a Merv 5 filter,collects much smaller particles then your current filter.Think about getting a Merv 8 filter ,at the ame time the coil is cleaned.

One inch pleateds ,like 3M,are too restrictive to allow proper airflow on most system,be careful,have the static tested before upgrading the filter.

Have you seen this dirty coil Jed? In other words, is it really that dirty? Why do they need to pull it? I know some like to pull coils. But it's very rare that I can't clean a coil in place.

madeinusa has a very good point. What's the current airflow and/or static pressure of the system and how is that affected by the higher efficiency filter? Don't know? They didn't tell you or even bring it up? Surprise, surprise.

And how do they know that the fiberglass filter allowed that dirt to bypass? Did they measure airborne particulate both before and after the filter with a mass spectrometer and project the quantity of dirt that would accumulate on the coil, accounting for wet and dry times as well as velocity through the coil? HA! It sounds to me like they making an explanation that fits their conclusion.

Are you the original owner of the house? If not, why isn't it possible that the previous owners were the cause of the dirty coil? I've seen MANY systems go decades with cheap filters and never need their coils cleaned. Furnace manufacturers provide filters with their furnaces that are similar in efficiency to fiberglass. If fiberglass wasn't enough for most applications then I don't think they'd be providing similar efficiency filters with their products.

In other words, not ever aspect of the story "jives". But Im a natural skeptic and tend to think that of a lot of things.

Originally posted by a\c don
    Also make sure return air duct is well sealed.
    Why does this matter? I mean as long as the leak is before the filter it's not like dirt would be getting past it.

Something I am missing here?

Nothing wrong with the blue filters as long as they're changed/maintained. Find a company you feel comfortable with,and use them. This isn't a simple task.....especially in a hot attic. If you go the cheap route you'll end up with more problems....leaking coil,non-condensibles,etc. Go with a reputable local company....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Re: Can anyone help

can anyone direct me to a site or forum where they might be willing to give an average price for cooling coil cleaning.
    alt.home.repair

See Google groups if you don't have access to a newsserver.

As someone else stated be careful going to a higher restriction filter a lot of systems out there are installed with undersized return duct and undersized return filter grilles, you will get good service from the cheapo blue filters just keep them changed. If your system uses a run of duct over to the filter grille and it has a bad leak it will not matter what kind of filter media you use dirt is getting in between the unit and the filter. Cost hmm accessible in place CHEAP (less than 4k) Remove coil/clean reinstall VERY EXPENSIVE (still less than 4k LOL)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12