Post Likes

windows 10 navigation

i had to buy a new laptop 2 weeks ago with windows 10. i am used to windows 8 so i am struggling with the transition on top of my major lack of computer skills. i also bought a cheap printer at the same time. i couldn't use the printer but i can not seem to get rid of the driver that had to be downloaded. i don't think it ever installed correctly and constantly displays a box saying "acquiring information on the latest driver and software please wait". i assume after 2 weeks it just isn't going to aquire any more info, lol. i can not shut my computer down because it tells me i need to stop this program but i can't find it.
    where and how do i find these this stuff?

Post Likes
    You can get there a couple different ways. Click the windows button, then settings, then choose connected devices. Scroll down and click on device manager under related settings.
    Find printers then click the arrow next to printers. If you see your printer right click on it, this will pop up a window that gives you options to update, disable or uninstall the driver.

You can also get there by typing the word driver, in Cortana should bring up same window then find your printer there.

Hope this work for you!
    Last edited by 1-Hvacdoc; 12-26-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    thanks. that helped me a lot. i thought Cortana was something different. i can't find the driver or program that is giving me this trouble. i wonder if it is because it didn't install correctly?

Post Likes
    Theres a recent downloads in there too, somewhere..
    I can't get the wife off her new laptop long enough to get the lay of the land, so to speak, of w10.

Sent from my Note3, using, Crapatalk
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Post Likes
    Think you need to go to device manager. Search in settings. Then rt click on printer.
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    thanks. that helped me a lot. i thought Cortana was something different. i can't find the driver or program that is giving me this trouble. i wonder if it is because it didn't install correctly?

Post Likes
    When the USB ports, drivers, and cables first came out you HAD to install the driver first. If you plugged in the hardware first, then installed the driver, it would not install properly. And you had to un-install the driver, then re-install it before hooking up the hardware.

Seems they should have worked out that oddity by now, but don't know for sure. I still install drivers first and have not had any problems. Not on Windows 10 yet, but my dinosaur laptop is showing more signs of age, so that day gets ever closer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    When the USB ports, drivers, and cables first came out you HAD to install the driver first. If you plugged in the hardware first, then installed the driver, it would not install properly. And you had to un-install the driver, then re-install it before hooking up the hardware.

Seems they should have worked out that oddity by now, but don't know for sure. I still install drivers first and have not had any problems. Not on Windows 10 yet, but my dinosaur laptop is showing more signs of age, so that day gets ever closer.
    my issue is I don't think it is fully installed because there is a box on my desktop saying "acquiring information on the latest driver and software. please wait". it sounds like it is still searching or in limbo. I can't even restart the computer because that program is running and needs to be closed to shut down. I guess I will call hp Monday.

Post Likes
    It's not a good practice, but have you held the power button down to force it to shut down?

Also my wife set up her Toshiba, used it all night shut it down . And it wouldn't accept the password. Had to call Toshiba support, and they walked me through a long process of power buttons ect. And completely wiped the puter, and reformatted the puter.but it takes about 5 hours to complete. Call your tech support. They will tell ya what to do.

"If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Post Likes
    You can go to task manager and stop the program causing your problems.

10. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    CNTRL, ALT, DLT used to shut the computer down. For a restart.

Nowadays, when I do that, it brings up a different menu. There are things there to pay attention to.

There are ways to restart the computer. Like the CNTRL, ALT, DEL. Then click on something different.

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    my issue is I don't think it is fully installed because there is a box on my desktop saying "acquiring information on the latest driver and software. please wait". it sounds like it is still searching or in limbo. I can't even restart the computer because that program is running and needs to be closed to shut down. I guess I will call hp Monday.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leslie cook View Post
    You can go to task manager and stop the program causing your problems.
    I doesn't show it there either.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lions_lair View Post
    It's not a good practice, but have you held the power button down to force it to shut down?

Also my wife set up her Toshiba, used it all night shut it down . And it wouldn't accept the password. Had to call Toshiba support, and they walked me through a long process of power buttons ect. And completely wiped the puter, and reformatted the puter.but it takes about 5 hours to complete. Call your tech support. They will tell ya what to do.

I didn't even think about doing it that way but I will tonight. I just designed my house on a program so I hope I don't lose it. hopefully I can save it to a zip drive.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    CNTRL, ALT, DLT used to shut the computer down. For a restart.

Nowadays, when I do that, it brings up a different menu. There are things there to pay attention to.

There are ways to restart the computer. Like the CNTRL, ALT, DEL. Then click on something different.
    I didn't see the "something different key, lol.