Hmm

I live in S. Florida and want install transfer grills above the doors of our bedrooms to increase the return air flow back to the main return grill in the livingroom. Currently the doors are slightly cut on the bottom but I don't believe it provides the proper amount of return air.

I would like to know how these are typically installed.
    I will be cutting a how in the sheetrock on each side of the wall above the door and will place about a 6"X12" grill on each side.

I need to know a few things:

If there is a stud which obstructs air flow; is it cut and braced horizontally or just left in place and ignored.

To keep air from flowing from the insides of the wall, should I frame it out with wood or just try to seal it off with pieces of duct board and foil tape?

Will I need a baffle between the grills to reduce noise and retain privacy between rooms? If so, can I buy these pre-made or is the an easy way to make them myself.

I have not seen a home yet with a return duct system in South florida; is this common practice?

Do you think adding the transfer grills is overkill and I should just undercut the doors more?

Thanks for all opinions and advice,
    Doug

'I need to know a few things:
    If there is a stud which obstructs air flow; is it cut and braced horizontally or just left in place and ignored.
    To keep air from flowing from the insides of the wall, should I frame it out with wood or just try to seal it off with pieces of duct board and foil tape?
    Will I need a baffle between the grills to reduce noise and retain privacy between rooms? If so, can I buy these pre-made or is the an easy way to make them myself.
    I have not seen a home yet with a return duct system in South florida; is this common practice?
    Do you think adding the transfer grills is overkill and I should just undercut the doors more?
    Thanks for all opinions and advice,
    Doug

REPLIES:
    1. You dont want to cut any wall studs to accomodate putting in transfer grilles. You want to get your grille in between each stud which are typically 14" apart.
    2. You dont need to cap off the wall space as its just dead air space ; the air will escape from your bedrooms just fine. Once youve cut in a transfer grille, hold up a piece of tissue paper and youll see its effect.
    3. Privacy is a consideration with transfer grilles ; however, by cutting them up high above the doors, you may be okay.
    4. Like everywhere else in the nation, the builder often takes the cheapest way out of building a home which accounts for things like a proper Duct System. Of course, the Builder is often pressured into cutting to keep the home within tight budget parameters ; its always the Consumer that looses out in the long run.
    5. No, i dont think you should undercut the doors anymore because it wont look good . Plus, allowing the return air to be taken high from each room (using transfer grilles above doors) is very advantegeous living in a hot climate like Florida ; i believe youll notice a positive difference in the way each room cools .

Happy cutting !