Thread: New House in GA

I am looking at possibly building a new home in the Middle GA area. I always look at the HVAC system compared to what the builder normally would install.

I'm looking at the higher efficiency units that have 2 stage compressors. If I marry that up with a variable speed blower unit (there would be a heat source, gas or heat pump included in the equation, but being in GA, I'm more concerned with the Summer heat and humidity!)

Is this a good combination not only to be more energy efficient, thus saving on the electric bill, but also the variable speed fan providing more comfort(less temp swings)?

Also, I've read other posts and have had some horror stories of my own when my system wasn't sized properly, I like to keep it from 70-72 degrees, even if it gets up to 95 or 99 degrees. If I tell the builder that I want to meet with his HVAC folks to give them MY specifications for this system, is that something builders will normally do?

I'm willing to pay a bit more money for a better, higher efficient system if I get the economy/cost savings and comfort I believe I can expect from these systems.

Is this the right way of thinking of the HVAC system????

Thanks for any/all of your comments/opinions!

Regards,
    Rick

Some builders are just dirt bags and some will let you work with the HVAC guy. It's your check book. I have done houses for people that did not want to use the builders HVAC guy and most of the time those builders would tell the customer I was screwing them or try to still use his hack.

James...

That's because in order to do the job CORRECTLY the FIRST time and be profittable... you were 3 times as high as the builders HACK!

Oh well, at least this client gets something worth having!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The point is,make sure you have control of what system and HVAC contractor you will get,before signing with the builder.

His HVAC contractor may be willing and able to provide for a great system,so "look" there first.

Comfort and economy depend on the "house as a system". Both the thermal envelope and the HVAC system have to be engineered to their cost effective maximum potential. I suggest you look for an outside consultant (consult your local utility) to provide this service. If you depend on your builder or HVAC contractor to provide this service you probably will be dissapointed.