Thread: Sound blankets on Scrolls?

Post Likes
    I have a customer with 3 5 ton Lennox condensors, model number HS29-060-1P. they have Copeland Scroll Compressors

The condensors are located on the other side of of a 6 foot concrete wall from their patio. they are very noisy and she says they have to turn off the A/C when they are using the patio. she contacted the installing contrator and he said nothing could be done about it.

i took a look the only option i could come up with was compressor blankets. the compressors sound normal and about 75% of the noise is the fans, but she said if the blankets made a 25% reduction in sound she would be happy.

Im wondering if a blanket would make a significant difference on a scroll compressor, as ive never installed or seen one before?

if blankets cant get the job done, i think she's ready to write the check for 3 new, quieter units

Post Likes
    I've put them on several units both scroll and recip, make a pretty marked improvement. They are only about $30-40 usually for a universal one. Pick one up and give it a shot, if they like it sell them three more at $100 a pop or whatever you want to charge them. The velcro they use to attach them is pretty cheesy and doesn't hold real well. I usually zip tie them on with some duct straps too. Trane makes some really nice ones for their equipment, but they don't fit all compressors perfect.

If those don't help and they want more, maybe try finding a competent home theatre guy. Those guys can really deaden up rooms, they may have some ideas for outside that you didn't think of too.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by pmurf1
    If those don't help and they want more, maybe try finding a competent home theatre guy. Those guys can really deaden up rooms, they may have some ideas for outside that you didn't think of too.
    actually, the H/O had her home theatre guy look at it too. he was stumped as to any possible solutions. I thought for sure he would know of some sound deadening material that could be mounted on the concrete walls that surround the units on 3 sides.

Post Likes
    So there are three condensors in the same area? How high is the wall around them, I'm assuming probably waist high? Is there an overhang or anything above to prevent good airflow? Could the wall be raised to block the noise more? How about moving them somewhere farther away. Home builders out here love to sell people RV gates and then install their condensors right next to the gates. One missed turn and that's it. They also like to install them right next to bedroom walls and 2x4 construction with stucco doesn't insulate the sound that well. I've seen guys even duct up the condensor air with kd pipe or spiral duct and it cuts the noise too. Doesn't look all that great, but it works and doesn't seem to affect the head pressure.

Post Likes
    They have differnt quality sound blankets. I'm not sure where your at but Gemaire (Universal Parts) has 3 versions in thier catalouge. Good, Better, Best.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    You may have already tried it, if not I had a carrier unit so noisy they could here it in the house "upstairs". After checking the compressor, I adjusted the fan placement on the motor shaft and was able to cut the noise in half.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in