Properly sizing indirect water tank

I'm thinking about replacing my existing gas-fired water tanks (30 gal & 40 gal) with aa single indirect tank on a priority zone off of my burnham series 2 boiler (164k btu input). I'm in the process of converting to central air / forced air heat, so heating the indirect tank would really be the only thing the boiler is doing, no other heating zones. (though I'm planning on putting a couple of smaller radiant floor zones in, mostly just to warm up tile in a bathroom.)

The question is, with this size boiler, and not worrying about any hydronic heating zones, how large a tank can I put in before I run into problems with the boiler not being able to heat the tank quickly / efficiently? I'd love to put in an 80 gal tank, but I'm concerned the boiler just doesn't put out enough btu's to heat it effectively.

Thanks in advance for any help!

with that tank being the only thing on the boiler you could probably put in a 30 gallon tank and never run out of hot water.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    with that tank being the only thing on the boiler you could probably put in a 30 gallon tank and never run out of hot water.
    One concern I have is that we're probably building a new master bath, which will have a jacuzzi & shower with multiple heads / body sprays / etc.

That boiler will give you a recovery rate of roughly 175 gallons an hour at 90°F rise.
    And 157 at 100°F rise.

Its more then enough for an 80 gallon indirect.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

That boiler will give you a recovery rate of roughly 175 gallons an hour at 90F rise.
    And 157 at 100F rise.

Its more then enough for an 80 gallon indirect.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks!

Many thanks, beenthere, I appreciate the feedback. What's your thoughts on adding a tempering tank before the indirect to bring the water closer to basement room temperature? I was toying with the idea of re-using the 40 gal direct-fired gas tank for this purpose, just pulling the jacket & insulation off.

If your exisiting water heater tank is in good shape. Use it.
    It will help. You won't save a big savings in any one month. But over the course of a year it adds up.

You might want to have a pan installed under it though. They tend to sweat a lot.

PS: Make sure you have a bypass installed, in case it starts to leak down the road.
    Contractor locator map