Trane VS Furnace Question

Just a question on VS fans. On the Trane website the XV90 furnace features a:

Variable Speed Blower & Draft Inducer Motor

The XV80 features a:

Variable Speed Blower Motor

What is a draft inducer motor and how does it differ from the motor in the XV80, if at all?

Thanks

Re: Trane VS Furnace Question

Originally posted by nathan9999
    Just a question on VS fans. On the Trane website the XV90 furnace features a:

Variable Speed Blower & Draft Inducer Motor

The XV80 features a:

Variable Speed Blower Motor

What is a draft inducer motor and how does it differ from the motor in the XV80, if at all?

Thanks
    I have the VX80 and it has a draft inducer, but it's not variable like the XV90.

The "draft inducer", also known as a "combustion blower", is the fan that pulls the fuel and air mixture through the heat exchanger during combustion. It also serves to pre and post purge the heat exchanger and vent system.

The XV80 uses a 2 speed draft inducer motor and has 2 stages of heat. It is an 80% efficient furnace that uses a standard B-vent type flu pipe for venting. Once the combustion gasses leave the furnace, natural draft actually carries them through the vent system to outdoors.

The XV90 furnace uses a varriable speed motor that does much the same thing, but takes it a bit further. The furnace is 90%+ efficient, so water will condense out of combustion gasses. Because of the condensation, the furnace uses a PVC vent pipe and has a drain.
    There is not enough heat left in the combustion gasses to establish a natural draft, so the draft inducer has to be able to force all of the combustion gasses through the PVC vent pipe to outdoors.
    Trane uses a varriable speed motor for the draft inducer to insure that the fan is able to push everything through the vent system, even if everything is not perfect with the vent pipe installation.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Nathan9999,

MAKE A DECISION AND GO WITH IT!!!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Yellow, that's what I like about you, you're very decisive!! Actually, I have made up my mind on almost everything - brand, dealer, zoning, R22 or 410A, dual compressor or dual stage AC, duct sealing, TXV. My last decision had to do with which furnace to go with in a mild climate.

Based on some posts here I thought perhaps an 80% furnace would be a better fit since the furance will be way oversized in order to accomodate the 5 ton AC unit. My thought was that an oversized 80% furnace would heat the home a little more slowly than an oversized 90+% furnace, leading to improved air quality and reduced cycling. That may be bad reasoning, but that's what led me to post the question.

Mark, you may remember that you helped me out on understanding the XL16 versus XL19 for zoning. I also got the Trane distributor to give me a great deal of information on the zoning issues. He says the Trane zoning system was not designed with the XL16 specs in mind. He, like you and my local dealer, recommends going with the XL19 for zoning, and that's what I'm going to do.

My local dealer also recommended the XV90. Economically it probably makes no sense, so that prompted my question to see if any other issues (such as comfort or sound level) should enter into the decision.

Thanks again.

[Edited by nathan9999 on 06-24-2005 at 02:40 PM]

nathan....when you finally decide who you are having do it have them come over to your house and show them some of these posts. Make sure you have a camcorder handy to record the expresson on his face when he reads some of your posts. I always like a good laugh and Im sure watching him feak out would be interesting......just kidding lol

dec, I have picked out the contractor. Some of the reasons I selected him are (1) that he took a little time to discuss options, (2) he encouraged zoning as an option (unlike other dealers who obviously had never done zoning but were critical nonetheless), (3) he wasn't offended that I did my own Manual J calc, (4) he didn't try to blow smoke by telling me that a J calc wouldn't work in our area (like other dealers who were contacted), etc.

In other words he, was responsive, knowledgable, and didn't blow smoke. Most of the contractors I contacted made statements that directly contradicted many of the accepted standards that are discussed on this forum everyday. It got to be that I would just chuckle and call the next one.

I'm sure all of the professional participants here understand that many, if not most, HVAC contractors can get a little intimidated by an informed customer. Heck, I'm a CPA and when a client or prospective client seems to know more about accounting or taxes than the average client I know it makes me a little nervous, too. But I have to decide if I have the confidence and ability to meet their expectations. Usually I can, sometimes I can't.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I originally was going to go with a builder's grade 12 SEER & single stage 80% furnace. Based in large part on my research done here I am going with a zoned system that will cost 91% more than the original estimate. My only point in mentioning this is that, while cost is almost always one issue, there are quite a few potential customers who would pay more if they thought they were getting more value.

Thanks again for all the informative responses.