Hmm

I took a look at a house in western Long Island that was in need of insulation. While there, the owner pointed out his current HVAC system.

It consists of a single 3 ton condenser with two very large air handlers in series. The lineset goes to Air handler 1 and then to AIr handler 2. I couldn't get to the nameplate to check the size of the air handlers.. but they looked at least 3 tons each.

The system works.. but I have never heard of such an arrangement. ANyone elese here ever see something like this?

Interesting....how old did they look? and were there solonoid valves installed on the liquid lines? Might be twin 1.5 tons with txv's........
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Rheem had a double stack coil... when you say air handlers it sounds as though there are 2 fans in series also. Is this the case?

Originally posted by docholiday
    Rheem had a double stack coil... when you say air handlers it sounds as though there are 2 fans in series also. Is this the case?
    There were two separate air handlers in differents parts of the house. I didn't open the units up to look to see if they were using only one TXV valve.

The owner said the system worked, except one unit didn't have the filter changed for a good 10 years.

Originally posted by smokin68
    Interesting....how old did they look? and were there solonoid valves installed on the liquid lines? Might be twin 1.5 tons with txv's........
    I didn't see any valves. The lineset was brazed right to the unit.. unless they were behind the panel.

i have seen 2 rheem coils in series on a geothermal system. and i believe they both had txvs.
    Goodbyee stranger it's been nice. Hope you find your paradise! Hey it aint rocket science, "It's a Trade !"

Question AHU configuration ... One for the Ages

DUAL Circuit air handlers are common.

BUT Certainly NOT What you have described !
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Re: AHU configuration ... One for the Ages

Originally posted by dan sw fl
    DUAL Circuit air handlers are common.

BUT Certainly NOT What you have described !
    Agreed. I have installed quite a few 18,000 BTU pancake airhanlers/coils that are fed by single 3 ton condensers, but they basically operate as a single system.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV