Hi, I recently posted about having a new install with appalling workmanship and have another question. First, the install manager came to the house and reviewed the job.
    He agreed with me about the problems and is going to fix them and review the entire system.

I have one problem about what he said in regards to the airhandler (carrier FV003) sucking in air where the 2 pieces meet. He said there wasn't a lot that could be done besides trying to tighten it up and then sealing with tape. This surprised me since it is a brand new unit, I thought it could be fixed w/o having to go the tape route. I would think a new airhandler would not have any leaks. Should I insist on having a new airhandler installed or just let him fix it.

Could this problem be related to the return flex going into the airhandler at such an extreme angle. After the return is corrected which he is going to do, would that possibly help.

Any advice on what I should do or tell them would be appreciated. Thanks

I know this sounds bad for a brand new system....but that's what they make mastic and silicone for. I had air leaks on our brand new Carriers......but I'm sure every brand leaks air at some point. The tighter the better IMO.

Good luck.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Can we assume it was brought in to the attic, basement, crawl or garage in two peices?

I agree, let them seal it with mastic or caulk and deal with the other issues.

The leakage is not as large as you may think. It is usally sealed with tape or silicone. It is very common to hear some air leakage on the air handlers.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I am not sure I understand the question, the FV is not a knock down fan coil, it is one piece?

Must be where the duct meets the fan coil? Either way, small openings should just be sealed...big gaps is another story!

Good luck
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Thank you everybody for your replies. I will just let them seal it up and correct the other problems.

Also Thanks, Hvac r us 2 for informing me that the FV unit comes in one piece. I though it had to be put together.
    The unit is in the attic. Now I'm just waiting to get the repairs scheduled. I'm going to call again today to get a date asap. Thanks again for all your input and I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks.

Hvac R us 2,

Just to clarify, the air is being sucked in through the middle of the airhandler and not where it first meets the sheetmetal piece connected to the end of the air handler.

It's sucking the air along the seam that's near where the
    pvc pipes come out. Is that where the fan coil is located?

Thanks again and sorry for my lack of knowledge of the
    workings of the airhandler.

Thanks.

Pretty much all a/hs leak. Some up to 30 cfm.

I seal every hole on the units I install, even caulk the holes that the refrig lines pass through. You don't have aesthetic issues with sealing? (Some people complain when you seal stuff and insulate it.)

Don't seal up too good though, they might need to get back in someday!
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated