Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the life span of flex duct?

Post Likes

Talking

In my geographical area flex duct is the norm for residential and new construction. You will have a duct board (1 1/2") trunk line with flex runs to outlet boxes. Hard duct tie in's are not the norm...costs prohibitive. Metal duct is exclusively for large (high static pressure) commercial applications only. Welcome to S. Texas...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    could you post a link or brand name, i'd like to take a look at it. Never seen or heard of it being used as "system duct". Always seen it used as "environmental air duct".

www.atcoflex.com/products/series/alumseries.html

If the link doesn't work search the company ATCO

Post Likes

atco alumaflex

thanks, link worked....

never seen it before, I think it would be easier to install than flex....just screw and tape.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    thanks, link worked....

never seen it before, I think it would be easier to install than flex....just screw and tape.
    I love the stuff. I've been using it for 18 years in crawl spaces and attics and have never had a problem. Costs more than wireflex but lasts way longer, especially in area's prone to damage. I still offer rigid steel duct as a first choice though, but the older I get the more appealing it is to just offer the flex duct as it gets me out of the crawl space's a lot quicker.

Post Likes
    I know prices aren't supposed to be discussed on this forum but, realtive to typical (not the best and not the worst) flex dcut, how much more does this aluminum flex cost?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    I know prices aren't supposed to be discussed on this forum but, realtive to typical (not the best and not the worst) flex dcut, how much more does this aluminum flex cost?
    I'm not sure if I am allowed to answer that, but you could probably call a local supply house and get pricing or search online.

Post Likes
    thanks, link worked....

Try NSI Supply or SPS Supply , in Ca they go by Heating and Cooling. I have used this product and it is better than flex, it is cheaper than spiral, it does not bend like flex and it should not be used in a vertical shaft (it will come apart). Airflow resistance should also be considered. The biggest challenge is R-8 insulation because you cannot tell if the duct has collaped when it is bent around obstructions. I still prefer spiral and long radius ells over endflex or flex duct on any given day. The quality of the job is only as good as the materials and workmanship being used.

Post Likes
    acwizard, can you post a picture or two of installs where you used this product?
    I went to the website, but pic n/a.

as for the deteriorating inner liner on older flex, I've never seen that here.
    but lots of humidity here and much different climate than arizona/ca.

I can't remember who posted a pic with exterior blue sleeve in shreads,
    had the inner liner failed on that also?

would different climates cause interior liner to deteriorate??
    sorry to get off topic (again) but I learn a lot from you folks.
    thanks!
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes

guts

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    acwizard, can you post a picture or two of installs where you used this product?
    I went to the website, but pic n/a.

as for the deteriorating inner liner on older flex, I've never seen that here.
    but lots of humidity here and much different climate than arizona/ca.

I can't remember who posted a pic with exterior blue sleeve in shreads,
    had the inner liner failed on that also?

would different climates cause interior liner to deteriorate??
    sorry to get off topic (again) but I learn a lot from you folks.
    thanks!
    That be me with the pic. Ive seen lots of clear tubes laying around but never any with busted liners.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    Take a look at this link.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in