Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thermocouple

Originally posted by jfs1138
    This may sound HARSH, but this can be a very serious issue!
    I can't really tell from his post if he's talking about the wires from the thermocouple or some other wires inside there.
    I think the classy thing to do would be to give him enough information so that he understands that
    I agree.
    If I can get this sheet metal chip out of my eye,I might be able to read well enough to understand the question...

jfs1138...

I'll post a diagram late tonight to show you why the wires being connected at the valve will not cause a pilot outage issue.

It will however, cause a safety issue!

The wires are not actually touching. There is separating and the wires go to a spill switch. At this point using a meter will tell you where to go. May need to take reads at multiple locations to pinpoint problem. This must be a "bulb t'stat" or or manual furnace to have a t'couple. Also is this one of the recall valves??

[Edited by mike3 on 06-24-2005 at 04:29 PM]

Re: jfs1138...

Originally posted by jultzya
    I'll post a diagram late tonight to show you why the wires being connected at the valve will not cause a pilot outage issue.

It will however, cause a safety issue!
    Thank you.In the meantime,I will keep rubbing my eye and hope the irration goes away...

For you guys...

Here is the diagram I promised you...

The red current paths represent the limit being 'bypassed'!
    (DO NOT DO THIS! This is for training ONLY!)

As you can see, it doesn't matter to the electricity flow whether the limit is in the circuit or not.

So if the 'ECOs plastic' gets damaged and the wires connect there, it bypasses the limit!

Does this clear up the whole 'thermocouple' wiring issue?

Originally posted by jultzya
    Does this clear up the whole 'thermocouple' wiring issue?
    Well, does this help anyone?

Yes sir.
    Sometimes I just post on these threads just because I want to come back and read the answers.Thats an easy way to remember.

In this case it was "wall furnaces" that got my attention.I dont see very many that arent condemned,and thrown on the junkpile.So,I wanted to absorb whatever knowledge I could here...

I must confess though,after putting half hour or more into this,I still dont really know what we are talking about...in other words, 2 minutes of actually seeing the unit would be much better.

However,the original poster probably has a better idea of what he is seeing,and that is what matters.

Thank you!
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12