I currently have a Trane 5 Ton XL14i single stage AC with a variable speed furnace controlled by a XT302C thermostat.

I wish to upgrade to a digital thermostat and see the Trane TCON803 as the replacement. The Honeywell TH8320 appears to be the same thing. Im sure that Honeywell is the OEM for Trane.

My question is: Is there any difference between the two other than the logo?

I am also aware (from other posts on this site) that there is a difference between the retail store and Pro version of the Honeywell VisionPro, How do I tell the difference?

From what I've read, they are both the same.. just diffrent logo, and higher price on the Trane.

Originally posted by avidude
    I currently have a Trane 5 Ton XL14i single stage AC with a variable speed furnace controlled by a XT302C thermostat.

I wish to upgrade to a digital thermostat and see the Trane TCON803 as the replacement. The Honeywell TH8320 appears to be the same thing. Im sure that Honeywell is the OEM for Trane.

My question is: Is there any difference between the two other than the logo?

I am also aware (from other posts on this site) that there is a difference between the retail store and Pro version of the Honeywell VisionPro, How do I tell the difference?
    A couple of the easier ones:
    1) The model number for the Pro version is a TH8110/TH8230/TH8321. The model # for the consumer version is RTH8500.
    2) The consumer model lacks auto-changeover

There is also a slight visual difference as well:

Consumer TH8500D left, Pro TH8110 on right:

They also come in different packaging as well. The consumer stat comes in theft-resistant plastic blister-packaging:

While the VisionPro comes in a colorful cardboard box that tends to fall open if you're not careful: