Thread: Package AC ???

I have what I guess is a package system, sort of. I have a pad mounted condensing unit outside with lines run to a package unit (rectangular wall-mounted with fan, coil and electric heat resistor strips all in one unit) inside. Right now my only options are to have the system running on Cool or Heat with either High or Low fan settings, no thermostat so it's either "ON" or "OFF." Is it possible to install a new thermostat somewhere within the current system to better regulate cooling when I'm not around, i.e. leave the system on cool but have the thermostat turn it on and off rather than having it run constantly?

Thanks.

No sir...It sounds like you have a "split system",or rather a "mini-split system".

As for adding a Tstat,that is sometimes possible.I wouldnt know without looking at it.

I would suggest you post the make and model numbers along with your question,and one of the smarter guys here might have an answer.
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

Yes you have a split system, and it's always possible to add a t-stat to an airconditioner, at what expense and what's involved is another story. It shouldn't take more than a contactor or two and some relays.....call a pro and have them look at your system, you'll like the improvement a t-stat will bring(cool when you get home). Do yourself a favor and get a digital programmable stat, visionpro by honeywell is my choice right now until a better one is made. good luck.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

It does sound like a mini split. They usually come with a little remote control that is mounted and acts like a t-stat. List the make and model and maybe someone can find were to get a replacement at.

Hey thanks for the replies. The system was added to a room addition at my grandparent's old farmhouse, hence isn't part of the central system. My late grandfather would simply turn the system on and off as needed. I want to use the room for climate controlled storage. Unfortunately it's 200 miles away from where I'm located so I won't be able to get the requested info...at least for a couple weeks or so. Just knowing it's possible to add the thermostat is a big relief. I'll call their old HVAC guy out next time I'm over there.

Originally posted by stevehvac
    It does sound like a mini split. They usually come with a little remote control that is mounted and acts like a t-stat. List the make and model and maybe someone can find were to get a replacement at.
    Or perhaps an antique,or something.Maybe pressure controlled,r-12,home made machine.Those farmers often made there own.If so I hope he posts a picture!