Thread: scroll compressors

Post Likes

Frown

4 ton carrier scroll compressor very very noisy, I had a owwned a scroll compressor but not that noisy . Unit does cool house down , suction return to compr. 55 degr.

Post Likes
    Pressure means nothing, make sure it's correctly charged and not slugging liquid and then put a sound -deadening blanket over it if it doesn't already have one.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes

Smile Thanks

It does not have a sound deading blanket . I will check for slugging liquid .

Post Likes
    you can put a sound blanket around the sides of the scroll but do not cover it

Post Likes
    If its a Copeland Scroll then Copeland makes a custom blanket for it.

Post Likes
    Shoot it. I've never seen a blanket make even a slight difference in noise reduction.

The first thing I did to my YRA heat pump 10 yrs. ago was pull that heat trap off the scroll.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Sound blankets do reduce noise but if you have a nosiy compressor to start with they wont do much. They reduce the hum from the compressor. They are not a heat trap since the compressor is cooled by refrigerant not air. Airfow around a compressor has no effect on cooling, otherwise the compressors would have fins like the head of a motorcycle.

The real problem needs to be addressed which may be charge related, airflow related, oil return related, non condensibles or a damaged compressor. Most often the compressor is changed out of ignorance but the noise returns because the real problem was never resolved and by replacing the compressor inadvertantly the non-condensibles issue gets taken care of and the oil is now doubled in the system which allows the poorly run refrigerant lines which trap oil to now flow it.

Post Likes
    Self delete. Not worth my time.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in