Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I wouldnt ask for the exteded warrantee to be dropped, they are more often a bargain at any price. Usually one service call requiring a part will equal what you paid for that warrantee. In ten years, you will be making a repair at some point. (imagine your car on the road 14 hours a day for 10 years).

It sounds like #1 took the time to verify the ducts and load, and frankly there is never an excuse to oversize a furnace. I cant believe he suggests he doesnt like the unit going into high fire. That is simply absurd, ignorant justification. I might suggest that the installers dont build their price based on cost as much as you suggest, they charge what they are worth. Merely suggesting that the equipment is the same doesnt make a hill of beans difference when it comes down to performance and reliability. The sizing, and installation do that, and frankly attention to detail over guessing is worth something.

Docholiday:

Thanks for your insight. I am definitely planning on keeping the extended contract. As my wife put it, "You know it will fail in year 6 if you don't get the extended warranty to 10 years."

I just need to decide now if the ~$900 difference between the 38TXA (3.5 ton) and the 38TDB (4 ton) is worth it.

Thanks.

Originally posted by rileyrr
    I just need to decide now if the ~$900 difference between the 38TXA (3.5 ton) and the 38TDB (4 ton) is worth it.
    The 38TXA is closer to the right size (as opposed to 20% oversized) and the simple payback on the more expensive unit would be 21 years.

Yes, I agree that the added cost will not be made up in efficiency savings. But, other than being slightly more efficient, I know the 38TDB has some other advantages over the 38TXA (as dash has alluded to). I just want to be clear on what I will not be getting with the 38TXA that I would have gotten with the 38TDB.

Thanks.

Originally posted by rileyrr
    I just want to be clear on what I will not be getting with the 38TXA that I would have gotten with the 38TDB.
    The lower priced system is much simpler and has a scroll compressor, therefore it should be more reliable.

http://www.residential.carrier.com/r...ID3966,00.html

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The diagnostics for the two speed is really not an issue,IMHO.

The two speed will operate in low speed the majority of the time,do not be concerned that at full capcity it's oversized ,as the Infinity Controller will handle the speeds.

Operating in low,causes longer run cycles,at lower operating cost,longer run times will dehumidify better.It also helps to keep more even temperstures thru the home.

When you need it to "dehumidify" having low speed ,is a great advantage,to keep "overcooling" to a minimum while running just to dehumidify.

We have installed over two hundred Infinity Two speeds and cutomers love them,just look at "ricknc's" post on this thread.You might want to add Infinity Zoning,as he stated it's really slick and can add to the energy savings ,with set backs in certain zones,again it works best with a two speed/stage system.

Do a Search on this site,"Infinity" and see what other homeowners think of theirs.

$900.00 divide by 5475(15 years X365=54750=$0.164 ,per day.
    WHAT"S Comfort worth to you??

[Edited by dash on 06-24-2005 at 11:07 AM]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12