Hybrid View

I have a York system installed about 1990. The condenser coil drip pan has completely rusted away, and i have water dripping. My HVAC guy tells me the only way to fix is to replace the entire coil assembly to get a new pan. Is this correct, or can I purchase a pan from york or other aftermarket supplier.

Originally posted by kevingbp
    I have a York system installed about 1990. The condenser coil drip pan has completely rusted away, and i have water dripping. My HVAC guy tells me the only way to fix is to replace the entire coil assembly to get a new pan. Is this correct, or can I purchase a pan from york or other aftermarket supplier.

It is not a condenser pan, it is an evaporator condensate pan. And the answer to the question depends upon the particular evaporator model. They were not all constructed the same way.

For the age of the coil and the amount of work involved you may as well change out the entire coil anyway. If the pan is shot then just pulling the coil to change the pan (assuming it can be done) may cause the coil to leak. If the pan is shot the coil is probably weak as well.

Change the coil, don't mess around trying to patch up something like that. Try using an American STandard or trane coil as they have a composite pan no metal to rust away.
    "Go big or Go Home"