Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Panama City / Panhandle Fla. - Is the technician pay really that bad????

Recently I was looking at relocating to the Panhandle of Florida. Going through some job postings, 10 years experience, etc., etc. As usual, they advertise great pay (top pay for top techs), they were all excited about my refrigeration experience, but the offer is $16.00 an hour! We usually hire a helper at $13.00! Is this typical for the area or just specific companies?
    I'm in South Carolina right now, so I know it's not a North/South issue, lol...
    I'm sure they're not billing their labor out at $50/hr.
    Looking for input from people from that area.

Post Likes
    No that Is not typical pay search around you will find something better. Would you be interested in moving to the Jackson MS area lol . I could hire you...

Post Likes
    I'm a water person, lol, miss being around the ocean. I appreciate the offer.
    What's a well versed/seasoned tech worth around the panhandle? The kind that shows up every day, give him his calls and not see him til the end of the day...

Post Likes
    Residential or commercial ? I do the hiring for my branch ( AL, MS and Panhandle) I have never hired anyone under 18/hr and the 18/hr guy had 3 years experience. you should be seeking minimum 20+ hr and even 20 is low for someone with Refrigeration experience. I would feel like I was insulting someone offering them 16/hr keep searching you will find something. Keep in mind there are lots of techs in FL.

Post Likes
    The question residential or commercial always cracked me up. There is no difference in the two, or in refrigeration for that matter. It's all the same. Physics is physics, electricity is electricity, a couple of different bells and whistles, but at the end of the day, it's all the same. When I was coming up in this business, Ed would always say "I don't give a shi* what the pressure is, I just want to know what's the temperature ???? ", lol...
    I know there's a lot of service techs out there, but the ones that care what they're doing are far in between. Do you know how many 'seasoned' techs out there with 15 years of experience don't really know how an expansion valve really works? Forget how many units I see with a fan cycling switch that have a perfectly good head master on them.

6. Likes doug1111, Referman76, j123 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fixmikelol View Post
    The question residential or commercial always cracked me up. There is no difference in the two, or in refrigeration for that matter. It's all the same. Physics is physics, electricity is electricity, a couple of different bells and whistles, but at the end of the day, it's all the same. When I was coming up in this business, Ed would always say "I don't give a shi* what the pressure is, I just want to know what's the temperature ???? ", lol...
    I know there's a lot of service techs out there, but the ones that care what they're doing are far in between. Do you know how many 'seasoned' techs out there with 15 years of experience don't really know how an expansion valve really works? Forget how many units I see with a fan cycling switch that have a perfectly good head master on them.
    Yea there is no difference between the two on paper maybe.
    It's not if your doing it right it's whether your doing the right thing that is important.

8. Likes jm1979 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Just tranfering heat from where you don't want it.... to where you don't care

Post Likes
    I hesitate to respond because it is a small world but I am currently in the area you are looking at, I have going on 23 years in the trade. I am not just experienced I am knowledgeable. I am relocating because I am not far off of what you were offered. I can tell you supermarket work pays around 25 starting, I am relocating to the west coast and have a couple of offers that double my hourly rate at day 1. Good luck

Post Likes
    Thank's for the input. I pm you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fixmikelol View Post
    Just tranfering heat from where you don't want it.... to where you don't care
    it has shifted way away from temp control of heat transfer. now they are controlling on humidity and enthalpy

Post Likes
    The panhandle of Florida is really treated, at least pay wise as south Georgia. To me fairly low. I was in Tallahassee for 3 years. I came down from Chicago to Project Manage a jail job. After 15 months I asked about a raise. I was then told that I came down there above the pay range. When I asked why I wasn't told this in the first place(I didn't ask that question before) I was told that I wouldn't have come down then.

Post Likes
    If you would be interested in being a couple of hours north of there we are looking for experienced techs for the Montgomery AL
    area. We are commercial / industrial and just starting up a refrigeration dept . Feel free to send me a private message and i will
    gladly answer ant questions.

15. Likes Referman76 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I am interested in hearing about the refrigeration department, I am unable to PM you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast