Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Needing advice on finishing tech school vs. taking a full-time HVAC job right now

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for opinions on what to do, found myself faced with a tough choice here.

So obviously the purpose of tech school is to train you and help you get a job, right? Only problem is a good tech school costs lots of money and I'm working 40+ hours a week in a factory while attending night classes. I'm currently in Missouri and have been wanting to relocate to Texas for quite a while now.

So the question is: do I finish out school in MO and pay another $8,000 for the remaining two semesters, or do I drop out and take this job in San Antonio? It's a larger company who also does plumbing and electrical, and they're offering to train me on the job. Starting pay would be $15 an hour (install helper) and I was told that basically my own motivation and willingness to learn will decide where I end up. He said they have guys who became lead installers within 5 years with no formal education.

So what do I do?!?! I feel like I'd learn a lot more working in the field every day as opposed to night classes twice a week. I've been wanting to move to Texas for a while now and I feel like this is my shot. But then again, a certificate in HVACR would look great on the resume. I can always fall back on that. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Post Likes
    You have to earn your stripes in this business so an opportunity to go to work doing it is not a bad thing you can always go back and finish school.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. Likes tmt liked this post
    Post Likes
    You need experience to get your license in TX anyway

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Take the job w/ the Co.Get educated by them.
    Do you have "The Book" from your Trade School? What is it? You can continue educating yourself by reading,studying.
    You can talk to a local Trade School down there & see if they will pick you up at the same Level as you are at now?

Post Likes
    $8,000 is alot for tech school. I think I only paid like $3,000 and most I got back in taxes. Go work and then find a local vocational school that has hvac school. Go to school. It does help if your willing to read and listen to your teachers. Here is a good book to buy also from Carrier University:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

7. Likes blessed liked this post
    Post Likes
    Take the job. I've found that most employers value experience over schooling. Fit those classes in when you get off from your hvac job. So you can finish what you started. Plus the information will make alot more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes tmt liked this post
    Post Likes
    I went to tech school east of Atlanta, 2 years, from 6-10 pm, Mon-Thur....while working. You will learn and understand so much more by working in the field at the same time. See if your credits transfer and see if your new boss will work with you on your quit times, so that you can finish school.

11. Likes tmt liked this post
    Post Likes
    What were the courses of study in the semesters you have already completed? List them all; titles, and chapter titles, of the books covered, etc.

What are the courses of study in the semesters you still have to complete?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Ampeg500 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking for opinions on what to do, found myself faced with a tough choice here.

So obviously the purpose of tech school is to train you and help you get a job, right? Only problem is a good tech school costs lots of money and I'm working 40+ hours a week in a factory while attending night classes. I'm currently in Missouri and have been wanting to relocate to Texas for quite a while now.

So the question is: do I finish out school in MO and pay another $8,000 for the remaining two semesters, or do I drop out and take this job in San Antonio? It's a larger company who also does plumbing and electrical, and they're offering to train me on the job. Starting pay would be $15 an hour (install helper) and I was told that basically my own motivation and willingness to learn will decide where I end up. He said they have guys who became lead installers within 5 years with no formal education.

So what do I do?!?! I feel like I'd learn a lot more working in the field every day as opposed to night classes twice a week. I've been wanting to move to Texas for a while now and I feel like this is my shot. But then again, a certificate in HVACR would look great on the resume. I can always fall back on that. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I agree take the job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Annapolis, MD: ragboat capitol of the world
    Post Likes
    2 semesters is too close to the end to quit and start over in another program.

I was able to take a full time job and still finish my training in evenings ... 40 years ago this year
    Sam

Know-it-all? Nope, not even half!

Post Likes
    Is that your goal to be a lead installer or do you want to get into service? If it was me I'd take the job. I started at 15 an hour not knowing what an air filter is or where it was at. That company gave me on the job training and I took advantage of it. Within the first year I was on call and pulling my own weight. Currently I'm looking for a new employer and have noticed many will take experience over schooling. Also had a guy start the same time as me that went to trade school. He expressed that the school is not much like the experience you get in the field. Hope that helps.

16. Likes mkovack, bullcity liked this post
    Post Likes
    I went to the vocational school route(accelerated) 7 months. It was so fast and intense, I actually still remember a lot of what i studied, so for me this was the best choice. If I hadn't gone to school, I never would of been hired. They want to make sure they want to make sure you understand the principles and can identify the different types of equipment. If you only have a little time left to finish school, I would bit the bullet and finish school.

18. Likes bullcity liked this post
    Post Likes
    If you know the company is what they say they are and if you believe in yourself TAKE THE JOB. You can better identify the additional education you need and learn how to apply what you learn at the same time. When I owned a company I preferred results over paper work. Paper work is good but the intent of schooling is results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast