Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    If your cutting ACR on a daily basis and want to recomend to someone new the best tubing cutters to purchase for the work ... which one's would your advise?

I just used a Rigid 151. It is slicker than snot on a door-knob.

And of course there is the Big Imp and Small Imp.

What others would you say someone should own?

I have used the Imperial brand for years but they have went down hill fast. Ordered two new ones a while back and they are falling apart already. Rigid 151 is what I have now and works great but not the same as what i'm used to.

I still have my first Imperial-Eastmans, which are older than some of my current co-workers. They still work nice and smooth, the newer ones, however, are too sloppy for my tastes.

I like Reed and Ridgid cutters for the larger (Over 1-5/8) tube sizes.

Yellow Jacket cutters are nice for holding back that last piece of Armaflex while brazing...

I have a few Imperial-Eastmans that I love. A few are older then me. They still make a kick a-s cut. I have a Yellow jacket that I keep in my service bag that I am more then happy with. Ridgid makes great cutters for big pipe, Steel pipe. But for copper I stick with my old Imperial-Eastmans that the chrome is wearing off.
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living

I have an apprentice that works pretty well.

Originally posted by condenseddave
    I still have my first Imperial-Eastmans, which are older than some of my current co-workers. They still work nice and smooth, the newer ones, however, are too sloppy for my tastes.
    Where do you find the cutting wheel? I still have my 1/4 to 1 &1/8 Imperial chrome cutter I retired a few years back only because I can't find the cutter that will fit anymore AND I have worn down the screw in axis a little. Imperial-Eastman doesn't make that wheel anymore or at least it's not in their cutter kits of parts and wheels.

P.S. It will be 43 years old this August.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Talking

nothin beats a good ole sawzall...he he he. Just kidding!

Imperial Big imp or a ratcheting tube cutter.. can't remember the name.

Originally posted by DeltaT
    Where do you find the cutting wheel? I still have my 1/4 to 1 &1/8 Imperial chrome cutter I retired a few years back only because I can't find the cutter that will fit anymore AND I have worn down the screw in axis a little. Imperial-Eastman doesn't make that wheel anymore or at least it's not in their cutter kits of parts and wheels.

P.S. It will be 43 years old this August.

Geo. It's NOT THAT OLD!!

MY coworkers are just learning how to shave, but, I do recall seeing a company that MFGs cutter wheels.

I'll try to find a URL.

Thanks Dave
    The new Imperial wheels have shanks that are too wide. I retired this tubing cutter about 10 years ago due to a chip in the wheel. Yep, even with the chipped wheel I kept using it.

We should have a picture post contest of the oldest tool(s) and their age here! Beencool would win since he is way older then me...but maybe he doesn't have any old tools left.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Talking

Yellow Jacket cutters are nice for holding back that last piece of Armaflex while brazing...

Wow dave, that says a lot about yellow jacket LOL. RIDGET MY CHOICE. BTW, do you need another apprenice?

why do you need a cutter? if you just bend it back and forth it will break

Originally posted by green_apprentice

Wow dave, that says a lot about yellow jacket LOL. RIDGET MY CHOICE. BTW, do you need another apprenice?
    We're always looking. Are you in PA/NJ/DE?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast