Thread: Heil Variable speed furnaces

Post Likes
    Has anybody done any installs with Heil (Keeprite) 90% 2 stage variable speed furnaces. I have a salesman from Heil trying to sell me some for a project. Until this time I have been using American Standard units. Are there any known issues with Heil units? The price is certainly more attractive for this project (32 units). Just wondering if they are as dependable as the A.Standard units.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    As an ICP distributor, (yes I am biased !) I feel you will be very happy with the product. It is a simple and reliable variable speed system using the Emerson motor currently (soon to be changing, but not until late 2005,early 2006).

It is also unique, that if the motor should fail (and I know of only 2 in 7 years), you can put in a standard PSC motor to get the customer heat until you can purchase the replacement varialbe speed motor or controller. No need to stock replacement Variable speed motors, let the distributor do that.

Current product is H/W smart valve, this will also be changing late season. 24 volt operating system.

Hope that helps.

Post Likes
    I have installed one heil 90% with the vsm in it. and have had no problems. even though heil and tempstar are the same unit I think the shell is a better made unit, sorta like american standard and trane being the same the trane looks better.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the information, I will order a couple and try them out. I really like the American Standard but their prices are just getting too high to use on project style work. Hard to compete when you are using the best and all other bids are using lower price product.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    have installed many 2 stage hi efficiency heil/tempstar/keeprite units many problems with pressure switches manufacturer does not seem to know why but they have gone with metal pressure switches instead of plastic ones noallowance from manufacturer or distributer have had to change on my own time .

Post Likes
    Have heard about the oil coagulating in the secondary heatexchanger, would not be surprised if this is the cause of the pressure switch problems.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Black Adder
    Have heard about the oil coagulating in the secondary heatexchanger, would not be surprised if this is the cause of the pressure switch problems.
    Negative.

#1 - Secondary oil problem has been resolved but there are some older serial numbers still out there

#2 - It was a differential issue in the Hi-fire switch on the 2 and variable furnaces, changed to the new metal switch and not a problem since.

Alberta, How long were your furnaces installed before the change was made ?

Post Likes
    installed approx 50 hi-eff variables last year mostly 100s &125s in january this year spent approx 25 hours going out and changing pressure switches on approx 30% of these units once the new switches were installed the units were fine there seemed to be no ryme or reason to which ones needed to be changed some work fine and we have never been back what really annoys me is that this is not a install problem at all ICP knew that there was a problem yet they will not compensate us for our time spent. Some units would run for a few weeks others would last 3 months .Do not know at this time if we will continue to install there variables have switched our hi eff line to amana no problems yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in