Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I appreciate the help I have gotten so far. I had a Trane specailist come out today. He checked reserving valve and capacitor and came to the conclusion that the compressor is bad. Which is good (well except of the news of course). However when my wife asked him why it had gone bad in 7 years he said "who knows they sometimes just go bad for no reason." Maybe I have been hanging around here too much but I recall a quote from here that compressors "don't die they are killed." The tech said to replace the compressor but I am a little concerned to throw good money after bad if the next one will have such a short life.

I am in the mid-atlantic region, Richmond, VA, and I think a compressor should last more than 7 years here unless I am unlucky.

Should I just replace it or get another opinion?

could be a number of things, when they replace the compressor have them give the unit a once over. You might consider a new outdoor unit if the current models will match your indoor unit, (all new warranty) other wise you have the remaining 2.5 years left. (the new compressor doesnt get a 10 year warranty).

First off, it shouldn't take a non-txv 10 minutes to equalize pressure throughout the system. Then you have a 1997 condenser added to a 1986 evaporator. Hope you get your warranty.It shouldn't have anything to do with the t-stat,unless the t-stat is dropping out it's contacts in the middle of a call for cooling, which I doubt. I wish you could post all the pertinent information....subcooling,superheat,delta t,ampdraw,etc. but i realize the tech has that info. With that 1986 furnace, I'd look for a new complete system before band-aiding this one. Have an acid test done if you choose to replace the compressor...inexpensive. JMO
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

'I appreciate the help I have gotten so far. I had a Trane specailist come out today. He checked reserving valve and capacitor and came to the conclusion that the compressor is bad. Which is good (well except of the news of course). However when my wife asked him why it had gone bad in 7 years he said "who knows they sometimes just go bad for no reason." Maybe I have been hanging around here too much but I recall a quote from here that compressors "don't die they are killed." The tech said to replace the compressor but I am a little concerned to throw good money after bad if the next one will have such a short life.
    I am in the mid-atlantic region, Richmond, VA, and I think a compressor should last more than 7 years here unless I am unlucky.
    Should I just replace it or get another opinion?
    '

ME: If you have a Heat Pump System, the compressor works year round so you cant expect it to last as long as a regular A/C unit compressor would. Here in Illinois, a typical Heat Pump compressor is good for roughly 8-10 years ; less if it hasnt gotton regular maintenance. If i were you, id consider a replacement Outdoor Section with an extended warranty this time around. Keep y our Indoor Section and line set BUT have them serviced and flushed out well before placing the new Outdoor Section into operation. Lastly, have it serviced EVERY year by a competent Tech in both modes of operation (heat and cool).

Originally posted by smokin68
    First off, it shouldn't take a non-txv 10 minutes to equalize pressure throughout the system. Then you have a 1997 condenser added to a 1986 evaporator. Hope you get your warranty. <part of quote snipped> I'd look for a new complete system before band-aiding this one. Have an acid test done if you choose to replace the compressor...inexpensive. JMO
    Yeah I think the one part old one part newer is my problem (or part at least). NIETHER Tech came into the house to look at the evaporator which amazes me (I believe that also means they could not have done the superheat subcooling correct?). I don't want to band aid the system but there is also a high liklihood that I may move in the next year so I don't want to spend 4k on an all new system only to move in a 9 months. I don't for one second believe I will get a penny more for my house because of am all new HVAC system.

The second tech did write on the reciept 75 (PSI?) suction 185 head. Outdoor tempeture was about 85 degrees and inside according to my wife was 75 degrees. No mention of amperage draw or superheat or subcooling.

Originally posted by hvacfella

ME: If you have a Heat Pump System, the compressor works year round so you cant expect it to last as long as a regular A/C unit compressor would. Here in Illinois, a typical Heat Pump compressor is good for roughly 8-10 years ; less if it hasnt gotton regular maintenance. If i were you, id consider a replacement Outdoor Section with an extended warranty this time around. Keep y our Indoor Section and line set BUT have them serviced and flushed out well before placing the new Outdoor Section into operation. Lastly, have it serviced EVERY year by a competent Tech in both modes of operation (heat and cool).
    I agree the heatpump compressor does work year round but the secondary heat is gas and below 40 degrees or so it cuts over to the gas furnace so it doesn't see quite the use of a heatpump only system. I don't know about the maintenance before my ownership which was 2 years ago. I have had the system inspected to the tune of 90-150 dollars a year since I took over.

Your H P is still cheeper to operate then gas above 30 Deg. Replace the condencing unit and stay H P. It's a selling point for the house.

I agree for those sophisticated enough to know the heatpump gas combination is great. However those who understand are few and far between. I have tried to explain the advantages to a number of technically savy people I work with and they have no understanding of why it is good. If I were going to spend the next ten years in this house for sure I would replace the whole system tomorrow with a new high efficiency gas furnace AND heat pump. But there is a 50/50 chance I will change jobs next summer and move. The people like me and you who understand these things and are willing to pay for them are few and far between.

75/185 at 85 degrees outside and cooling fine
    i must be missing something what did he say was wrong with the compressor and did he install a hard start kit

I'm thinking if this is the typical Trane heat pump with spine fin coils, they haven't been cleaned since 1997, are now filthy dirty, and this unit's been running a high head pressure for some time. So, either this has stressed the compressor valves, or stressed the run capacitor, or weakened the internal relief so it's bypassing at a lower pressure, or...

IOW, I'm with Beiser. If the compressor is going out there's a reason why, and that reason needs to be found and eliminated.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Originally posted by secstate
    I agree for those sophisticated enough to know the heatpump gas combination is great. However those who understand are few and far between. I have tried to explain the advantages to a number of technically savy people I work with and they have no understanding of why it is good. If I were going to spend the next ten years in this house for sure I would replace the whole system tomorrow with a new high efficiency gas furnace AND heat pump. But there is a 50/50 chance I will change jobs next summer and move. The people like me and you who understand these things and are willing to pay for them are few and far between.
    Remember where you are, can you say dual fuel or ground source?

Originally posted by shophound
    I'm thinking if this is the typical Trane heat pump with spine fin coils, they haven't been cleaned since 1997, are now filthy dirty, and this unit's been running a high head pressure for some time. So, either this has stressed the compressor valves, or stressed the run capacitor, or weakened the internal relief so it's bypassing at a lower pressure, or...

IOW, I'm with Beiser. If the compressor is going out there's a reason why, and that reason needs to be found and eliminated.
    It is a typical Trane with the spine fin coils and I agree I need somebody to tell why it the compressor is failing. The problem is the two techs have not bothered to investigate or least to tell my wife when she has asked (number one said he didn't know wait for it do die and two said it just happens. If anybody knows a decent tech/company in Richmond VA I would LOVE to hear from you. I have tried company I was happy with in the past and a Trane "Comfort Specailist" neither gave us an intelligent (or any) explanation.

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    75/185 at 85 degrees outside and cooling fine
    i must be missing something what did he say was wrong with the compressor and did he install a hard start kit
    No hard start kit installed (at least since I have owned the house which is about two years). First tech said the problem was a "cracked valve" the second tech said "worn valves".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast