Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have an Amana 4 ton heat pump that is 10 years old. Two local HVAC contractors have informed me that my reversing valve is stuck and will be approximately 400 - 500 dollars to repair. I have decided to just change the unit to a newer, more effecient system. This is where I get confused. One contractor recommended Goodman because of price and effeciency (a 4 ton, 12 Seer unit). The other contractor told me to go with Trane (5 ton, 13 Seer unit). That contractor also told me that Goodman did not hold up that well. I have searched for some consumer reports but can't find any that are not company based. Which is a good unit? If you were putting a new heat pump in your own house (2200 square feet, southern south carolina, 25 year old home) which unit would you want? Please help, the days are getting hotter and I have to make a decision. Thank you

goodman is cheap and wont last 10 or 12 years, trane will be more expensive to service( coil hard to clean and most techs dont take time to look, compressors have to come out of the top of unit and will probably take two men to change on larger systems, evap coils are tall and in some cases youll have to remove furnace and coil just to clean the coil when needed.
    i recommend lennox, carrier or bryant deluxe units.

Have a load calculation done, sizing is very important, if they dont want to do one send them packing, looks like at least one of your contractors is just guessing, proper installation is also very important, either brand will serve you well if sized and installed properly, focus more on the contractor than you do the brand, ask for references

Post pics of the finished job here so we can nit pick it to death

goodman is a good product and will last if installed correctly
    trane is also good and though it may last longer and some think it is better it is more costly and repairs are to
    the thing that is important is will the airhandler match up to the higher seer units. if not then stay with a 10 seer unit. or replace the airhandler to so you can get the the seer rateing you want

Equipment Selection

Originally posted by king38fan
    I have an Amana 4 ton heat pump that is 10 years old.

Which is a good unit? If you were putting a new heat pump in your own house (2200 square feet, southern south carolina, 25 year old home) which unit would you want?
    IF your current 4-ton worked satisfactorily in the recent past, Wouldn't a NEW 4-ton work?

Does the current AMANA 4-ton run more than 5 hours straght?

Have you made any changes to your home?
    .. add insulation
    .. upgraded windows
    .. added a room

Do you wish to have cooler inside temperature?
    Do you want a lower Relative Humidity?

I suggest a TRANE model 4TWX6048 with air handler 4TEE3F 049.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...mps/XL16i.aspx

[Edited by dan sw fl on 06-21-2005 at 08:51 PM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Your old AMANA lasted for ten years...which is approximately a lifespan for a residential unit.(maybe a little short) Why not go back with AMANA? They have really improved their product line in the last few years....have also made some other manufacturers units better as well..no names to be mentioned here! I just wonder why some people choose to jump ship on a brandname...to each his own ....Good-Luck.

I only bought this house 5 weeks ago so I do not know anything about how well the house was heated and cooled. I have spent significant time caulking the numerous air leaks and plan on adding r-19 attic insulation in the next month. I am fond of no particular brand.

You asked!
    I would install a Carrier, Bryant, Payne. any other questions?

I'm sorry, I thought you had lived with this system for a while....as far as what brand name system you buy, It really dosn't make much difference...try to find a reputable company in your area, or a few of them and get a couple of estimates...try to compare Apples to Apples when comparing quotes...personally I prefer Trane, but that's just me...they seem pretty tough, and if you purchase a parts and labor warranty with the unit, you won't see a repair bill for quite a while. Good-Luck.

Why just stay with same and ass-u-me it is the right size? One of our salesmen came across a 4 ton pump the other day. Did a manual J, came out to 24,000 BTU. So I guess he should just leave the GROSSLY oversized unit in? No, he showed her the calculations and suggested a 2.5 ton system.

Part of efficiency (SEER) is cycling. It can take up to 10 minutes for a modern unit to reach full efficiency. So what does it do to SEER to be short cycling due to being oversized? Say someone pays big bucks for 14-16 SEER but due to unnecessary cycling from improper sizing they effectively lose several points. Wise move?

What would I want? Rheem or Ruud.

Get a load calculation, make sure the system is sized correctly. Have your duct work checked for design and leakage. Make sure the system is matched (ARI# or CEE database) to get actual efficiencies. Don't worry to much about brand, you should put alot more time worrying about the quality of install.

don't waste your time with this load cal, just buy another 4 ton. Amana or Goodman.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Re: Equipment Selection

Originally posted by dan sw fl
    Originally posted by king38fan
    I have an Amana 4 ton heat pump that is 10 years old.

Which is a good unit? If you were putting a new heat pump in your own house (2200 square feet, southern south carolina, 25 year old home) which unit would you want?
    IF your current 4-ton worked satisfactorily in the recent past, Wouldn't a NEW 4-ton work?

Does the current AMANA 4-ton run more than 5 hours straight?

Have you made any changes to your home?
    .. add insulation
    .. upgraded windows
    .. added a room

Do you wish to have cooler inside temperature?
    Do you want a lower Relative Humidity?

I suggest a TRANE model 4TWX6048 with air handler 4TEE3F 049.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...mps/XL16i.aspx

[Edited by dan sw fl on 06-21-2005 at 08:51 PM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast