Cool

I could use some help picking a new heating and A-C system for my house.

I am a commercial HVAC tech with little residential knowledge. I have a beast of an oil furnace with a 17 year old Goodman condenser. It is time to replace the whole thing.

My thought is to change from oil to propane. The cost of fuel in New Hampshire will be higher per btu but if the system is way more efficient I may come out even.

I looked at the carrier line and found the Infinity series has 18 seer and about 96%. The cost with the rebate is about what a 10 seer and 90% would be. My question is, how dependable have you found the Carrier residential stuff to be? the commercial units they sell us have their moments. With all the electronics on the Infinity will I be up the river in 5 years?

Working for a Carrier dealer the price is good. Anything out that would compare cost and efficiency wise.

I could just drop a 5 ton package unit with a VFD in the driveway but the wife wont like that.

Thanks

Originally posted by hvacmanager
    I could use some help picking a new heating and A-C system for my house.

I am a commercial HVAC tech with little residential knowledge. I have a beast of an oil furnace with a 17 year old Goodman condenser. It is time to replace the whole thing.

My thought is to change from oil to propane. The cost of fuel in New Hampshire will be higher per btu but if the system is way more efficient I may come out even.

I looked at the carrier line and found the Infinity series has 18 seer and about 96%. The cost with the rebate is about what a 10 seer and 90% would be. My question is, how dependable have you found the Carrier residential stuff to be? the commercial units they sell us have their moments. With all the electronics on the Infinity will I be up the river in 5 years?

Working for a Carrier dealer the price is good. Anything out that would compare cost and efficiency wise.

I could just drop a 5 ton package unit with a VFD in the driveway but the wife wont like that.

Thanks
    I am not a big Resi guy either.. Why not, instead of the VFD, go w/ inlet giude vains, those VFD's get expensive when there out of warr. When you have the machine out on the driveway, you should insulate the outside of the duct work so the sun glare doesnt upset the neighbors lol

My first thought for New Hampshire was High efficiency oil fired boiler and hydronic heat with high effeciency straight A/C. You could even heat your water with it, and put in a towel warmer or two. If you have a great affinity for propane, you could do that too, but you get more bang for the buck with oil...hate to see what the price is going to be in ten years...you could scrap the whole fossil fuel idea and go geothermal heatpump..Just tossing a few ideas out there. As far as quality is concerned, they all are pretty much the same...installation makes quality. Good-Luck.

carrier are very good units and dependable also
    i would think staying with oil would be cheaper in the long run since propane is the most expensive fuel out there

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    We installed over 200 Infinities,mostly heat pumps,very dependable.

Everything has a ten year parts warranty.

Do a search of "Infinity" on this site and see what homeowners think of theirs.

I'm no oil proponent, but oil has more than 50% more BTU's per gallon than propane. With oil and propane cost per gallon being roughly similar, there's no propane furnace that's efficient enough to even come close to offsetting the lower BTU's per gallon compared to oil.

Originally posted by go_redskins
    I'm no oil proponent, but oil has more than 50% more BTU's per gallon than propane. With oil and propane cost per gallon being roughly similar, there's no propane furnace that's efficient enough to even come close to offsetting the lower BTU's per gallon compared to oil.

Go Redskins,

Yes I agree. Looks like I would be about 23kBTU [net] per gallon lower. I am still running some calculations on electric use. The Infinity should consume less electricity than the oil furnace. Not sure it would be enough. The A_C part is a big savings not sure yet on the heat side.

Man I would much rather be on a roof top job. It's much easier . Plus I get paid to think it out and the customer buys the equipment.

In a short cooling season, I question whether high SEER cooling is a wise investment, even at cost. Do the math.

I think you'd find that a good oil furnace in the 82-84% range, say a Thermopride, would blow away even 90+ LP. Remember the 96% efficient Carrier is an itty bitty condo sized unit, it will be lower 90s for a house sized.