Hybrid View

My A/C drain line appears to be clogged and is causing the unit to overflow the drip pan and flood the garage. Anyone know how to clear the pipe? Its attached to the air handler and makes a 180 coming out of the unit before turning to run along the wall. Its PVC so I cant just unscrew it. Ive been thinking of either trying to run a pipe snake or a shop vac from the open end to break or suck out any clog. Is there a better way of doing this? I heard there was something that A/C guys put in the pipe to clean it, a solution or something. Anyone know?
    Thanks.

depends if you have a trap or not...the shop vac would probably work, but if you pulled all the water from the trap you could have a lot more problems

That's why they're called "a/c guys." Call a professional and let them address the problem. It may be more than just a stopped up drain.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

do not run a pipe snake,as you can damage the coil. try the shop vac on the end of the drainline,if this doesn't work,call for service.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Well I cut the PVC pipe near the air handler and found the clog, put the hose to it and flushed it out. then I poured a little bleach down the pipe to kill any algae. Since I cut the pipe I had to replace some of it and while doing so I installed a "T" valve in the line so I can either flush it or pour beach down in the future.

And did you install the T before or after the trap?

you may want to consider having a contractor install an e-z trap with a float switch.

this has a clear trap so you can visually see any build up in the trap. it also incorporates a float switch that is wired in with the control wiring to shut down the system in an event of a clog in the trap or further down the line.

i guess it doesn't matter if you get condensate on a garage floor, but i recommend them for any interior system. especially attic systems.

good luck.