Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil burner that drove me nuts!

Went on a service call with a Beckett AFG and a Field SWG4 power venter.The burner ran fine on a cold start, but when it went to start again the primary control would kick out and require resetting.. I thought the power venter was fine because it worked on the initial start up, little did I know the motor was bad and wouldn't start when it was hot. I had never heard of this before. Thank goodness my friend had or I'd still be there!

Always good to have friends!!! Been doing this for over 20yrs and still have friends I call when things get to strange.

No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Glad you figured it out.Its amazing how big a problem a little end switch can make when it does its job.

oil burner control

Good morning, I am having hard time trying to fix my oil primary burner control.It's a carlin model 28245 and I just changed the last week.i also changed the cad cell eye.It worked really good for at least 2 weeks and I just happened to find it last night with the little light on.
    I tried resetting once but it didn't work.
    Is anyone out there that coould tell me what the next steps are to follow??
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by boho View Post
    Went on a service call with a Beckett AFG and a Field SWG4 power venter.The burner ran fine on a cold start, but when it went to start again the primary control would kick out and require resetting.. I thought the power venter was fine because it worked on the initial start up, little did I know the motor was bad and wouldn't start when it was hot. I had never heard of this before. Thank goodness my friend had or I'd still be there!
    field controls makesa oiler for that to lub the motor once a season, the bearing probably froze up. keep in mind its outside year round!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by adelac72 View Post
    Good morning, I am having hard time trying to fix my oil primary burner control.It's a carlin model 28245 and I just changed the last week.i also changed the cad cell eye.It worked really good for at least 2 weeks and I just happened to find it last night with the little light on.
    I tried resetting once but it didn't work.
    Is anyone out there that coould tell me what the next steps are to follow??
    Thank you very much
    call your oil burner service guy and have him c/o out!

that doesn't help too much really

When was the last time it was cleaned?

I am afraid that the burner needs servicing (PM) and then set up with a combustion analyzer. This is way beyond DIY stuff as I am certain you do not have the necessary equipment. Throwing parts at it won't fix it, it will just cost you money in the long run. Did you test the old primary and cad cell? How did you determine that was the problem?
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

it was cleaned two weeks ago.serviced and tuned up by a pro company aiello.
    they told me they would have to replace eventually my primary oil burner control but charged me crazy amount.I said no because I don't have the funds.I have been laid off and got a part time job that barely cover my needs.SO i did it myself and worked properly.Before they left they left me a diagnostic so that s how i did it following and researching in the internet with pros like you.

there can be so many reasons your primary locked out without looking at it very hard to tell. You need tools and knowledge of the components that only a pro has

Thank you though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast