Thread: Need Aprilaire 5000 facts

Post Likes

Unhappy

I'm still trying to determine the real facts about the Aprilaire 5000 air cleaner, and other 4-5 inch media filters in general. After further discussion with our potential contractor for a furnace and A/C replacement, he explained to me why he doesn't like the Aprilaire 5000. He claims that it causes high static pressure in the system, so much so that it will dramatically shorten the life of the furnace. He said something like "we shoot for no more than 3" of static pressure in the entire HVAC system, but the Aprilaire 5000 starts out with 3" static pressure all by itself", and also said that this high SP will shorten the life of the equipment (Amana 2-stage variable speed furnace) dramatically. Needless to say, these kinds of statements concern me. However, they also seem a bit far-fetched from what I've read here and other places.

We would very much like the benefits of the AA 5000 if possible, as we have allergies and asthma in our home. He also commented on the electronic part of the AA 5000 creating ozone, which can be a problem for asthma sufferers. As you may remember from my previous post, this contractor is pushing Dynamic air filters. I'm not interested in those.

My bottom line on this company is that they seem to know the furnace and A/C equipment and would do a good install, but they seem pretty clueless on IAQ issues. At this point they are far and away the most promising of the contractors I've talked with, but still have weak areas (i.e. they think it strange to use a 2-stage stat with a 2-stage furnace, etc.) - those questions may be the subject of another post.

Can somebody shed some FACTUAL data on this filter situation for me? Aprilaire's documents sure don't support his allegations, but he claims to have seen a bunch of filters tested in a special blower arrangement that measured pressure drop or static pressure or some such, and the AA 5000 flunked big time. Of course the Dynamic passed with flying colors. HELP!!!

Post Likes
    Previously discussed here:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=76030

I thought midhvac's response was a very good one.

Post Likes
    Did you ask him what the warranty was on the Amana heat exchanger? Did you check Aprilaire's site? http://www.aprilaire.com/product.asp...722CD120E8C7F6
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    3" static your contractor is a yahoo get another contractor. he's uneducated on the equipment you want. he should just say he is not familar and do some research.

Post Likes
    This is exactly what I'm having problems with. The guy who came out is obviously a salesman - a great talker, but not up on the technical end of anything. I have no problem with a salesman coming out as long as he's well-versed in what he's selling. I haven't gotten that feeling with him. I've either had salespeople like this one who don't know their stuff, or the type who have a canned, one-size-fits-all solution and don't care what we want or need. How am I, a homeowner, supposed to know who's shooting straight and who's slinging cow pies? Seems that everybody says something different or contradictory, and I obviously don't have the HVAC background to call their bluff, at least not with any believeabilty.

In this case, I still feel that the install would be high quality, for several reasons. But it -is- hard to have confidence when the sales guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I thought his static pressure number sounded whacked out (from what little I've picked up from this forum), but he should be the one who knows what he's talking about (not!)

Do any of you guys have any idea how difficult it is to find a good contractor these days? I'll bet a lot of homeowners (at least those looking for quality workmanship and know-how) would agree with me. I wish you true pro's weren't so few and far between...

Post Likes
    BTW, the contractor's reference to shortening the equipment life was referring to the variable speed motor, not the heat exchanger. And yes, I've checked Aprilaire's website. Not a lot of info there that I can apply to this situation, at least with my very limited background. That's why I asked you folks for your real-world take on the situation. I figured you'd know much more about the real effects of using the AA 5000 on variable speed furnace life, since you see this equipment on a regular basis in the field, as opposed to this sales guy who hears a good sales pitch someplace else and passes it on to me.

Any input, good or bad, on restrictiveness of the AA 5000? I just can't see how that much filter area can possibly be as restrictive as he says it is.

Also, it's possible that he mis-spoke on the 3" static - he may have meant .3". He made some other boo-boo's on pricing, so I don't necessarily feel that he's on top of his game all the time...

Post Likes

dynamic air cleaner!!!

I am an experienced technician that sells the dynamic air cleaners. I do so,because I installed one in my home. Why? I also have allergies and asthma and have had since I was two years old. I can tell you that if you are allergic to dust mites, you WILL see a significant reduction in your allergies and sometimes asthma. I can also tell you that I installed my air cleaner in the beginning of jan. 05 and I did not need to dust my home until the beginning of march 05. I understand if you don't believe me, dude I wouldn't believe anyone that told me this either. Especially a salesman,he he he. OH< wait,I am a salesman. Seriously, It can and will make a tremendous difference in your indoor air. When the proper steps are taken to help you.
    1. clean duct work properly!
    2. seal duct work properly!
    3. dynamic air cleaners or even better the micro guardian air scrubber also by dynamic. Yes It will cost you alot of money but If the salesman is good he will give you a 100% money back guarantee. I do to anyone I sell to. I'm not telling you to go with any certain contractor either, that is your decision... Good Luck I hope what ever steps you take will help with your allergies and asthma.

Post Likes
    Oh and by the way It is also a very good idea to use a 2 stage thermostat with a 2 stage furnace. A good one will limit the amount of time the second stage will come on. As long as the t-stat is making fractional gains in temperature it should keep the second stage from running. This can be great if your duct system and home will allow it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in