Is it just me or are the new houses just duct'd like crap. All these new houses with a great room at the entry and only one vent. those rooms never cool down. They bake in the summer and can't hold heat in the winter. When i go on PMs i get complaints from the home owners. Then main ducts at the air handlers rarely have dampers to control air flow for the seasons. My only suggestion to people is a expensive zoneing system being that the t-stats are always on the highest level of the home. Freezing out the basement.

I'm just saying.

timmay;

Perhaps you can analyze one of the problem dwelling units via ACCA's Manual D to determine empirically whether your concerns have merit... "duct'd like crap" doesn't lend itself to meaningful dialog... Are you simply having a catharsis or are you genuinely concerned about the quality of life of your clientele? If it is the later, then by all means press forward with a Manual D analysis which may in fact predicate doing loads via Manual J and verifying capacity with ACCA's Manual S.

Sound like a plan?

Take care...

smart ,ss

if duct properly, you do not need dampers. most all new construction systems will have small return air, improperly ducted and lots of other things that are wrong.

I just listen to the concerns of unhappy homeowners. I am but a wee tech in a dark world run over by blood thirsty contractors and cookie cutter home builders.

Sure thats a neet look. They call it a "great room". But is it going to make you happy in the long run? The answer resoundingly in NO. The air flow to the main room is poor. The t-stat is up stairs, all the registers are on the floor and the basement is freezing.

As far as meaningful dialog. I save that for coffee shop know-it-alls.

Originally posted by faith
    timmay;

Perhaps you can analyze one of the problem dwelling units via ACCA's Manual D to determine empirically whether your concerns have merit... "duct'd like crap" doesn't lend itself to meaningful dialog... Are you simply having a catharsis or are you genuinely concerned about the quality of life of your clientele? If it is the later, then by all means press forward with a Manual D analysis which may in fact predicate doing loads via Manual J and verifying capacity with ACCA's Manual S.

Sound like a plan?

Take care...

your conserns are just for the most part
    years ago when i started there was a lot of pride in installing a system in new houses. at least all the guys i worked with. every thing went of blue prints and was installed correctly. times changed over the years alot of guys still have the pride and they show it but most new construction co. are about price and get it done. when corners get cut so does quality and this is why i got out of new contruction 15 years ago. builders want cheap and that is what they get. the homeowner is the one stuck with it. the service guys are the ones that here about it all the time
    unless you are dealing with the homeowner doing coustom work at you price and dealing with the builder they get the cheapest