2 ton Ruud condenser with Copeland Scroll compressor. House is nice and cool and humidity runs between 35-40%. It had no problem keeping the house at 72 when we had a 95 degree day.

Compressor is noisy and makes a humming type noise that comes and goes but mostly its there. Im concerned because my Scroll compressor is noisier than both my neighbors old reciprocating compressors. I can hear it quite loud in the bathroom where I could barely hear the fan air on the 18 year old Ruud unit it replaced.

Any ideas??? Ive had 2 brain dead techs look at it and find nothing wrong.

could it be due to very slight kinks in lineset?

over or under charge?

could .059 orifice had been damaged during brazing?

could brazing without nitrogen have been a factor?

any suggestions on competent techs in Chesapeake Virginia area?

How old is the unit? Noise is an acceptable reason for warranty replacement. Most contractors include 1 yr. labor warranty. Otherwise you will have to pay for labor and materials which can be somewhat costly. And a compressor blanket is definately not the answer.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

hi friend; Stings or cuts a piece of hose,to be sure of where the noise comes.I need to now the exact place

Originally posted by mikeinva

Any ideas??? Ive had 2 brain dead techs look at it and find nothing wrong.

could it be due to very slight kinks in lineset?

over or under charge?

could .059 orifice had been damaged during brazing?

could brazing without nitrogen have been a factor?

You have been reading "way" to much into what you see posted here.
    Probably just the line set up against something in the wall, have you actually put a stethoscope on the compressor itself to even see if it's compressor related?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Perhaps a vibration in the cabinet? Try putting enough strain to the side at the top to tilt it slightly. Does the sound change? A friend of mine had me listen to his noisy, rumbling Carrier condensing unit. Tilting it slightly made the warbling rumble stop. He was going to call a tech to repositon it and perhaps tightening things up inside.

Al

Tech number 3 came out this evening and said it was fine. Said it was quieter than his unit!!

All he did was put an Amp gage on it and then his gauges. Said if it wasnt operating properly he would get abnormal amp reading and/or fluctuating gage readings.

Suggested sound blanket that higher end units come standard with.

Do I need to find tech #4???

is TEch #3 correct?? did his checks ensure a properly operating/healthy compressor or were there other things he should have done??

I've seen some pros in this forum complain about some scroll compressors just being LOUD. Others say that scroll compressors are USUALLY quieter than the reciprocating units. I might help if you describe the sound a bit more. Does it sound odd, or just loud?
    Al

I listened to a friends Ruud unit with a scroll and it sounds about like mine so I am going to say its fine

Hello again..Mike try this..turn the disconnect off at the unit..gets you a 1/2 inch socket and loosen up the shipping bolts at the compressor..couple turn should do the trick.

See if that helps.If not pay to have the lineset ran outside inside a down spout.Not much for looks,but will most
    likely solve your problem.

If not then you're way to picky,and noise level should have been discuss going in.

Last year I worte about this same issue...Copeland Scrollin a RUUD 4-ton. I'd say the sound is like a muffled jack hammer. Was just at in-laws home and they had an 4-ton American Standard condensor and a Trane Evap/Air Handler. Compressor there was very quiet.

To date, I have not seen any feedback which could explain the noisy scroll compressor. I think there is merit to the complaint.

What is the unit size? (model#)
    Whats the indoor unit model #?
    What size line set is used (OD)
    How long is the line set?
    How much vertical seperation between outdoor and indoor unit?
    What were the superheat readings?
    What was the suction line temp?
    What are the pressures he recorded?
    What was the ambient temperature when he did the service?
    Did they install the correct piston?
    Is the unit level?
    Is the compressor sweating?
    How close to the house is the unit?
    Whats the airflow? (indoor)

you can buy a sound meter at Radio shack for about 45 bucks and hold it 18" above and 18" on each side of the unit and average the sound levels. Compare that to the ratings given.

I tell you this, at 72 inside on a 95 degree day you are not under a heavy load at the evaporator with a piston. The superheat is likly very low as a result of the higher head pressure and relatively low indoor load (making the compressor noisy). Chances are it lines up on the charging chart but that charging chart is only accurate as long as your airflow is nominal. If it is slightly low and they tried to charge it using the charging chart then they overcharged it.

I've also seen a noisy Rheem or two with scrolls. One finally died, and the replacement was as quiet as a mouse. The others are still clunking along. Probably another of their weird engineering quirks.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain