Thread: Doorbell wired in AC curcuit

Post Likes

Hmm

Had a interesting call today. No cooling, found indoor unit with blown fuse on the curcuit board for the 24 volts, found that someone wired in a doorbell with the t-stat wires that went to the condencing unit and the doorbell went bad causing the fuse to blow. Customer was mad with me he thought I took to long tracing out the problem. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Post Likes

I ran into an entire development of homes with this same problem. Except the AC control transformer fuse would blow only when it so happened that someone rang the door bell when the AC was running.

The control transformer was operating right at its VA limit by itself. When the bell rang it was just enough to blow the control fuse.

Post Likes
    In 30 years I've on;y had that once.

And they atleast tapped off the transformer directly.

Post Likes

Talking

like someone once told me never forget the human factor.
    Thanks for your replies, Barb

Post Likes
    Had a no heat call a few yrs. ago. When I got there, I found a frustrated telephone company tech. He was dirty from head to toe as the crawl was very tight. My diagnosis was that the stat wire was broken between the thermostat and the boiler. You got it! He had spliced into the thermostat wire in the crawl. I asked if I could speak to him outside as I didn't want to embarrass him in front of the customer. With a little attitude he came along and still denied having done it. Blamed it on another tech who was there a few days earlier. My job was easy, as I just cut his wire loose.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Doorbells and garage door buttons. Seen them both.

Post Likes
    why we need conduit and wiring ducts,and all trades using it

Post Likes
    Originally posted by bmaec
    Had a interesting call today. No cooling, found indoor unit with blown fuse on the curcuit board for the 24 volts, found that someone wired in a doorbell with the t-stat wires that went to the condencing unit and the doorbell went bad causing the fuse to blow. Customer was mad with me he thought I took to long tracing out the problem. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.
    If cousin Bubba hadn't wired the doorbell, it wouldn't have taken so long.He was mad at himself for letting someone or doing this himself, resulting in an otherwise unneeded service call. Trust me,if he could have diagnosed it quicker,you wouldn't have been there.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes

Wink BEEN THERE

Friend of mine just starting out in plumbing biz. Installing new boiler after kitchen renovation. lights it off POW tranny blows. drains boiler cuts out goes back to supply house MF`s them gets new boiler POW same thing. Drains cuts out back to supplier, now supplier sends Weil McClain tech to help.January, 6pm I`m home out of work with broken leg, still have truck, phone rings. It`s my buddy, HELP!!!! I go & check out, YEP doorbell. Put `em on a light switch that nite `til they pulled new wire.

Don`t know how he did with Weil Mc Clain after that...LOL

Post Likes
    I said it before, and I will say it again... man-made problems can be the hardest to find and fix.

Now the story:
    Years ago, when I worked in automotive, we had a customer come in with his 2 year old Cadillac, wanted his radiator flushed. We gave him the price, he thought it was too high, so he goes to the local Kragen's and buys one of them Prestone Flush 'n Fill kits. Goes home and installs it. Proceeds to hook up his garden hose, turns it on, and starts his engine. Loud noise from under the hood, followed by the engine throwing the A/C belts. (you can see where this is going...)

He brings car back to the shop and asks me what he did wrong, well, you guessed it, he cut his A/C line (didn't he wonder what that 'whooshing sound was?) instead of the heater line and filled his system with water. When he started his engine, the compressor froze trying to compress water and threw the belts.

So instead of paying for a $50.00 radiator flush, he spends well over $1000.00 to repair his water logged A/C system.
    (new compressor & belts, hose, dryer, evap core, TXV valve, POA valve, system flush,evac and charge.) Oh yeah, and also a radiator flush.

Doesn't balk at all at the price, just tells us, "Whatever you do, don't tell my wife what I did..."

Post Likes

Re: BEEN THERE

Originally posted by h2045
    Friend of mine just starting out in plumbing biz. Installing new boiler after kitchen renovation. lights it off POW tranny blows. drains boiler cuts out goes back to supply house MF`s them gets new boiler POW same thing. Drains cuts out back to supplier, now supplier sends Weil McClain tech to help.January, 6pm I`m home out of work with broken leg, still have truck, phone rings. It`s my buddy, HELP!!!! I go & check out, YEP doorbell. Put `em on a light switch that nite `til they pulled new wire.

Don`t know how he did with Weil Mc Clain after that...LOL
    I cant believe he would change the boiler for an electrical problem. Never had the door bell problem, most of my work is commercial, I have had some people who like to power up the pool pump off the A/C disconnect lmao.It works when the pool pump is 220v. Went on one where the pump was 120v, wired it to 220v in the disconnect, said the pool pump ran really fast for a sec, then everything went off lol. I went out to disconnect the indoor 12ga. romex( wired on the 50amp A/c circut) from the disconnect and reset the breaker. I didnt know if I was gonna cry or start cracking up.

[Edited by ultratec on 06-21-2005 at 04:21 PM]

Post Likes

DUDE YOU DON~T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!

cant believe he would change the boiler for an electrical problem. Never had the door bell problem, most of my work is commercial, I have had some people who like to power up the pool pump off the A/C disconnect lmao.It works when the pool pump is 220v. Went on one where the pump was 120v, wired it to 220v in the disconnect, said the pool pump ran really fast for a sec, then everything went off lol. I went out to disconnect the indoor 12ga. romex( wired on the 50amp A/c circut) from the disconnect and reset the breaker. I didnt know if I was gonna cry or start cracking up.

IT Happened !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes

220 on Recovery Machine

Heard about a maintenance tech years ago that used a cheater-Its a box made up to "steal" 120 from the disconnect with a duplex receptacle. Not something I would do today as OSHA would have a fit but they worked fine. She hooked to both hots and that recovery machine was recovering like crazy for a short time. I was thinking-If i put a GFCI Receptacle in my box wouldn't that be fine for the short time its hooked up as long as you were there next to it the entire time you have it hooked up. I know you need to have 15 amp current protection as well but I have never had a problem with my cheater cord.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in