Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Got a bank thats going to be getting some new condensers. Dont like to mis-match but someone had already threw in some Rheem series 90 A/H about 3/4 years ago. We do not deal with rheem to much and for that matter most of are splits are TXV controlled so I don't wanna make things worse. I have a coil m# rcoa-4882gg21 with the 82 underlined indicating piston used. Problem is I cant find any info on sizing of Rheem's pistons or the coil. Any help would be appreciated.

IMO. If your changing the condenser(s), I would have to assume that you are putting in the same tonage right? W/ Rheem (Ruud) and some other OEMs, there coil could be good for a small range of condensers, depending on the CFM the blower or furnace can produce. I would get all the info on the evap and furnace, call Rheem (tech line, there very helpful) and tell them what your putting in and they will give the piston size needed. I wouldnt go buy whats underlined either. You can pump it down or when you recover the system, you should see whats in there anyway. If you feel better, you can always, just install a TXV. You may want to install a hard start kit(or super boost) unless its a scroll. If you want, unless someone has the info already, give me the numbers on the A/H and I will tell you what BTU cndendenser you can install w/ the piston needed, I could get you the info on tuesday some time.

[Edited by ultratec on 06-20-2005 at 05:32 PM]

a/h m# rgra-10ezajs

Unless you want to mismatch, why not just get a Rheem, Ruud or WeatherKing outdoor unit that is designed for that coil. WeatherKing is the economy model but still has a full metal jacket and scroll compressor in 4 ton.

The 82 piston is for 4 ton, a 3.5 ton will come with a 73 piston to put in the RCBA-48 coil.

Dear Ryn6609,

Regarding your posted question:

“…I have a coil m# rcoa-4882gg21 with the 82 underlined indicating piston used. Problem is I cant find any info on sizing of Rheem's pistons or the coil. Any help would be appreciated.”

The Rheem air handler Model number told us that the 48 was for the BTU rating(4 ton as BaldLoonie pointed out) and the 82 stood for the piston size(as BaldLoonie pointed out as well).

I agree with both Ultratec and BaldLoonie in that when this condensing unit is replaced that the piston size should be physically checked out to ensure that the correct piston is installed, or the entire fixed metering device should be replaced with a 4 ton TXV should you decide to go that route.

On another note, your preference of using a matched condensing unit/air handler is a valid one under all cases, but if the fixed metering device was replaced with a TXV, then any “generic” 4.0 ton Carrier, Trane, Lennox or almost any other name brand could be used instead of the Rheem or Ruud.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

The coil # you posted wasnt right as per Rheem. RC(0)A? The 0 is a G or B. If its a piston, its a G. The coil is a 3 1/2 or 4 ton.. With an 82 piston, its set up for 4 ton. The Furnace that you have can do up to 1800 cfm (multi speed). As stated above, 4 ton is correct. To change the coil to txv would be more a PITA compared to buying a new coil for $150 and sliding it into that case, if you desided you wanted TXV. Hope this helps.

thanks for the help guys. I thought it was a 4 ton piston but wanted to be sure. Each unit has a mismatched condenser already. One is a Goodman the other is too old and to beat up to read any tags, only numbers I got were from compressor. Both condensers are 3 1/2 ton now, but due to age they are no longer very efficient. From the reading i found part of problem is age and other is mismatching. Leaning towards getting some Rheem condensers.

Dear Ryn6609,

Sounds like good way to lean to, the Rheem condensing units are quiet nice an easly to work on, based on my humble option of course.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Unless you want to mismatch, why not just get a Rheem, Ruud or WeatherKing outdoor unit that is designed for that coil. WeatherKing is the economy model but still has a full metal jacket and scroll compressor in 4 ton.

The 82 piston is for 4 ton, a 3.5 ton will come with a 73 piston to put in the RCBA-48 coil.
    You may be correct, I thought the RC(B)A-48 was the txv and the RC(G)A-48 was piston. I may have misunderstood what the factory told me on the phone, I didnt go to the office to get the info, I just called them this morning. Doesnt really matter anyway. Your probably correct.

Anyone here a distributor with Rheem? Just sat on hold for 30 min with local Gemaire. I hate waiting on hold but maybe I should have called before 430. Have to put together a quote and need some general area pricing for 2 4 ton cond. units. Dont mind buying from someone else with reasonable shipping time/ cost.

Oh BTW I couldn't read my own writing the coils m#rcba-4882gg21. Soon as I put in the right # found all the info you guys told me. Gotta love working in closets with no room to move.

Not sure what area you are in. I could give phone #'S to my suppliers but you wont get that good a price unless you had an account there or buy a good amount of equipement. The best is to use a supplier by you. I can give you a ball park # if you like, not sure if we can give prices in the forum. If money is an issue, Ruud condensers are about $100 less then Rheem, some people want Rheem vs's Ruud(HO's) There Identical. I dont not like the weatherking, the service and acsess is crappy compared to the Rheem(ruud) unless thats just a certain model condenser that weatherking has (builder models maybe) I can have a price sheet sometime on wensday if you like to give you a ball park. Prices I am sure will vary all over the U.S.

just install txv's.

Dear Airworx,

Although that would be the preferred way to go, it’s not always the best way(value engineering…ie cheap way).

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast