Thread: Installation Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Confused

Hi There,
    Well we got the Amana and we am very happy with it, thanks for all your input in helping us make the decision. Unfortunately I am concerned with an aspect of the installation and I am hoping one of you can help me. Bare with me as I don't know the technical names.
    Okay, you know where the chimney part of the furnace/blower meets the air duct that goes into the attic....well the new furnace/blower has a much bigger chimney than the air duct that goes into the attic. Now instead of some kind of sleeve to join the two there is just uncovered fiberglass insulation covering the gap. Is this how it is supposed to be done?
    This seems unhealthy to me and what even made me pick up the insulation was the fact that I saw a piece of the fiberglass insulation in my bedroom register and it got my curiosity going.
    I sure appreciate any help I could have with this. Please let me know if you have any questions or if it is not clear what I am explaining.
    Thanks so much,
    want2bcool

Post Likes
    It's hard to tell what you are talking about. A photo would help a lot. If the chimney starter on your furnace that exhausts burned natural gas is not the same size as the existing chimney in your attic, then you may need a bigger chimney. And fiberglass is not a proper transition. If you are talking about an air duct that's a completely different issue.

Post Likes
    Thanks Fat Bob

(I am want2bcool's spouse)

again please excuse any imprecise terminology - - problem is the furnace/blower's output (where the cold or hot air exits the blower) is not 'sealed' to the duct that goes to the attic and ventilation/ductwork. There is simply a piece of fiberglass rolled around the supply vent with the raw fiberglass face toward the inside...not even taped at the edges.

the leaking air around this fiberglass 'connection' is obvious and as noted loose fiberglass has already been recovered at the bedroom register and cold air fills the closet where the Furnace/Blower is installed when the AC is on...

Post Likes
    call the company back...explain your findings...ask them to fix it..any reputable company would have done it the correct way the first time

Post Likes
    If it's a rigid fiberglass with foil or other smooth facing on the outside, then it's duct board which is designed for that application, though some people don't like it. A few shavings got in the duct work but that's no big deal. But it should be sealed to the duct and air handler so there are no leaks. It can be sealed with foil tape, preferably with a UL-181A designation. Or better yet seal it with an air duct sealant called mastic which is painted on with a brush or putty knife, or mastic tape.

If you're talking about the fluffy kind of insulation used in ceilings and walls that's not a proper use.

Post Likes
    Well I did call him back and told him about it and you are right any reputable company would have done it right in the first place. He says he will come over and fix it but now I just have no confidence in him. I checked his license before I hired him and it was clear and he has had the license for 15 years with no complaints so I figured he would know what he was doing. Now I wonder if I should get somebody else to do it. Does he know what he is doing and he just didn't want to get up there to seal it up or is he cluesless. I am just so angry and I just want it done correctly.

Okay if I do have him do it what should I ask him so I can see if he is competent.
    Thanks
    want2bcool

Post Likes
    Yes I am talking about the fluffy kind.
    Thanks
    want2bcool

Post Likes
    well if he has been in business for 15 years he should be able to do something as simple as a transistion...ductboard transistions are good if built and installed properly...show him the problem and let him fix it...

Post Likes
    Thanks again, guys_

Went home for lunch - situation was even worse than I originally thought.
    The fiberglass 'wrap' in question was old stuff leftover from the old install (no fabric/foil on either side just raw fiberglass) simply jammed in the mismatched space between the top of the blower and the duct going into the attic.
    I pulled away this 'wrap' (not taped - just jammed in place) and old ripped edges of fiberglass were dangling down into the new coil/up vent from a piece of the same fiberglass half ripped off but still attached to the 'down vent' from the attic. I am really pi$$ed that we have been breathing this hazardous $hit for a week! Photo documented everything.
    Anyway, I covered the blower outlet and carefully removed all the old fiberglass only to discover that the overlap between the up vent (from the blower) and the down vent (from the attic) is about 50% at best. (like two overlapping rings from the Olympics logo, if viewed from above). Am calling credit card company and state board to see what my protection is/options are.
    Also, I have service calls scheduled from two other HVAC companies to see if they can remedy this. I don't really think I want this clown doing any more damage to us or to the house.

And - How can I be sure that a significant amount of fiberglass did not fall down into the system - don't really want to be breathing that cr@p for the next 20 years.

D@mn!

Post Likes
    Call your credit card company and get the forms to dispute the charges and stop payment.

Tell the installing company you want the following before you will reinstate payment:
    1 proffessional duct cleaning.
    2 removal and cleaning of furnace, A/C coil, blower, and heat exchanger.
    3 proper installation of the system.
    4 certification by an industrial hygenist that your system is not putting fiberglass into the air. ( The industrial hygenist will have to test the air in your home and that coming out of your registers.)

If he balks, say you will forward your pics to the state contractor's board, your local building inspector, your insurance company, your credit card company, and your lawyer.

Plus, you won't re-instate the payment, and will bill him for having all the above work done.

There is no excuse for this kind of sloppy, unproffesional work. Its people like him that give HVAC a bad rap.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the suggestions, Dave. I doubt we will let this guy back into our home. Last thing I need is for him to screw something else up. I have found someone who appears (after a lengthy discussion in my office) to be knowledgeable and professional to come over and bid the repair work.
    I will dispute and stop original payment. I will look for an industrial hygenist - and do further clean-up as necessary. I will bill the original HVAC guy whatever the 'repairs' cost. If he pays, I will reinstate payment.
    Regardless, I will contact all the appropriate agencies and the local BBB.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in