Thread: Is AC unit or thermostat broken?

Post Likes

Unhappy

Hi, I live on the 2nd floor of a two-story apartment complex. For the last month or so, my downstairs neighbor seems to have been running his AC 24 hours a day. Sometimes it's on even on cold nights. The other day, it was on all night on a rainy night! It is so noisy--the big fan unit thing is mounted right above my bedroom. Every FIVE TO FIFTEEN MINUTES, around the clock, it kicks in hard with a loud bang, grinds loudly for a few minutes, makes another bang, whines for a few minutes, and then makes a flump sound and goes off. I haven't been able to sleep at all. The worst part of this is how frequently it goes on. I know he's home, so whatever is happening, he must be feeling it. The landlord said that AC units have to kick in hard and loudly to work, but I can't believe that the unit needs to go on every 5 to 15 minutes (sometimes 5 on, 5 off, over and over again, on COOL NIGHTS). It is ruining my health, my work life, and my sanity... I hope that somebody who reads this might have some advice? Maybe something I can ask the landlord to do, or point out what might be wrong? Please help!!!

Post Likes
    They don't have to kick on loud and hard to cool.

Some thing is wrong.

It may be a bad internal mount.

It may not be repairable.

If they won't fix, or replace it.

Ask your landlord to move you to another apartment.

Post Likes

Unhappy

Been there, thanks so much for your reply. It's almost 3:00 am, and I'm awake, tense, and miserable. Tonight, it's been kicking on hard, and then just staying on for a minute or two--surely that is wrong, also, right?

Post Likes
    Go pull the disconnect at night, youll get some sleep and maybe when they realize its not cooling they will call someone to check it, make sure your there when they come and tell them about the short cycling and the noises.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by can't sleep
    Been there, thanks so much for your reply. It's almost 3:00 am, and I'm awake, tense, and miserable. Tonight, it's been kicking on hard, and then just staying on for a minute or two--surely that is wrong, also, right?
    A minute or 2 is an extreme short and useless cycle.

There is SOMETHING not right.

Post Likes

my cousin once hit his dads out door unit with a pellet gun. darn squirrell was sitting on top. he pumped that thing 25 times to plaster the squirell. it had always shot low. it put a hole right in the coil. dard thing had to be replaced. heehehe

if you do what he did dont use a trajectory the can trace back to your apt. hehehee

Goodbyee stranger it's been nice. Hope you find your paradise! Hey it aint rocket science, "It's a Trade !"

Post Likes

Cool

No kidding! I was thinking that, if I threw a wrench up there (by some amazing boomerang feat), I'd need to make sure it didn't have my prints on it.

Thanks, guys, for all the feedback. I feel more confident to complain to my landlord again--and demand satisfaction!

Post Likes
    I agree take the disconnect and sweet dreams.........

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dave82323
    I agree take the disconnect and sweet dreams.........
    Aah Texas Justice at its best...

Post Likes
    and I thought I was the only one who pulled disconnects on neighbors... 'though I usually did it to end drunken parties early more than anything else.

Post Likes
    I don't know what or where the disconnect is... if it's on the unit (the big box on the roof), then I wouldn't be able to get up there.

Post Likes
    Best thing you can do is refuse to pay your rent until the situation is remedied.....and get a recording of it for proof. Offer to let your landlord sleep there while you inherit his house.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in