+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metro Vancouver Job Outlook

Post Likes

That is nice of you

Do you know what the pay scale was for the entry level position?

I have been thinking of doing refer work. Since I am a auto mechanic, my skills in repairing the small diesel engines and the AC system may come in handy.

I wonder who here that may be reading this, can say how much refer mechanics make?

Post Likes
    ua payscale, refer work same as 5 ton a/c, 100ton chiller.

Post Likes

That is good to know.

I will have to look up the rates. Besides pay, what other benefits are there?

Post Likes
    medical, rrsp., vacation

Post Likes

you mean extended medical?

Extended medical? paid or non paid vacation?

Post Likes
    If this in vancoover you might need combat pay. Lol. Did you see how they acted like animals after Boston bruins kicked their buts to win the cup.

Post Likes

Actually, 99% of vancouverites are not like this

It was anarchist, that mingled in with the rest of the crowds, then went to split off and went behind dumpster, only to dress in black hoddies "caught on tape" and ohh, lets, see, guys under 22 that due to medical science, that say the brains are not fully developed and lack maturity "ever wonder why majority of criminals are in this age group?"

Anyway, most locals were appalled at the violence. There were of residence of the city that went down the next day to volunteer the clean up.

I think if there is going to be another celebration next time, keep it out of down town core and send them to a park with big tv screens!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lortech View Post
    Extended medical? paid or non paid vacation?
    paid vacation and extended group medical.

its the full deal.

total package is over $55/hr. which is like $100USD/hr.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiemanhvac View Post
    If this in vancoover you might need combat pay. Lol. Did you see how they acted like animals after Boston bruins kicked their buts to win the cup.
    that was dowtown, nobody works there, it needed a facelift anywhOO

Post Likes

facelift are you kidding?

I will take down town Vancouver over ANY city!! there are some really run down places across the country. Despite the downside of high cost of living here, we have what most would envy. Great summer temperatures, a ocean, nice people, and about anything you can do if its outdoor activity.

Unfortunately, it was all these top desirable things that created the mass population influx, that created more traffic and higher cost of living.

But I think the biggest component I like about this part of the world is low crime, and generally friendly people.

I have resided or lived in four western states, and Seattle is a close second.

BTW, those union rates are very good. I will call some unions at the end of the month after I am away for a familly gathering, then see if they could consider hiring me.

I am trying out as a mechanic for a fleet shop. Its interesting, it has a refer outside that has not been worked on what looks like ages and is in various stages of repair "or decay". I thought I would get it running, and see if it needs refrigerant. He has a fleet of Newish Ford passenger buses you typically see at hotels or the airport. Its stone quiet at his garage. I think the owner is hurting financially and needs some one, anyone to do his mechanical work and cannot pay what is considered exceptable wages. What I kind of find odd, is there are 10 red semi trucks just sitting there, going no where. I wonder if there is some kind of provincial record I can look up if he has skipped out paying the employees wages, and they all left?

The nice thing though, he said I can use the garage for my own truck woohoo

Post Likes
    lived in vancouver since '88......yes its very nice in the summer for about 3-weeks.......no really its okay, hence my 'under tarps' comment above post count

I disagree about the crime being low, though.

good luck in your new job.

Post Likes

serios crime low...compares to most other major cities

I think Vancouver has the lowest major crime per 1,000 people vs most other north American cities.

I can remember living just south of the border called Tacoma. In the early 1990s, it was like the wild wild west for gangster. Gun fire every day killed some one. Gang members were killing each other, or innocent people all the time. Then there was the family murder suicides. Wow, talk about horrid. seems like twice a week, a family was killed by the husband. Ohh, and Hilltop Tacoma, was a shooting gallery on new years night. gun fire going off every 3 min for at least two hours.

I think Vancouver is a much better place to live dispute its "sectioned" drug or theft issues.

Post Likes
    http://www.clra.org/docs/agreements/...02007-2011.PDF

Link is for current wage rates in Alberta..Local 516 should be slapped for falling so far behind. Vancouver is 1000% better for climate but what happened to those wages + construction OT is almost unheard of not like in AB.

Might be harder to get in but you would be better off in service, with savings from eventual company truck and better knowledge to be gained.
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

Post Likes
    am i missing something, 516 is higher than the link you posted?

Post Likes
    just wondering how vancouver's job outlook looks as of oct 2012... better, worse?

Post Likes

function of interest rates and regional weather temps

It is a function of "how hot or how cold" and the housing start numbers are. I would imagine it is slowing down..as predicted due to the climb in interest rates. Coupled with a very high debt to income ratio the number of hvac jobs will possibly be on the decline. IF you Google stats Canada for information, you can pretty much find everything you want.

Right now, its not cold or warm "some what cool to cold" which means, AC is not being used and some times, heat is being used. Every time AC/Heat is not used in a geographic location, then those items do not break down. The only thing left is Food refrigeration aka, buildings and food coolers in groshrie stores.

Quote Originally Posted by aky View Post
    just wondering how vancouver's job outlook looks as of oct 2012... better, worse?

Post Likes
    Forget residential, commercial and industrial is in hi demand, especially the refrigeration side.

Post Likes
    Indy, do you work for one of the companies in Vancouver? Is it union or non union?

Quote Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
    Forget residential, commercial and industrial is in hi demand, especially the refrigeration side.

Post Likes
    yes its union and in the lower mainland.

Post Likes
    IMO, moving away from BC and heading to Edmonton or Calgary to do your ticket is the way to go. Tons of work in Alberta and plenty of companies with varying portfolios to learn from

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in