+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metro Vancouver Job Outlook

Post Likes

Thumbs up Metro Vancouver Job Outlook

Hi all. I appreciate you reading this post. So I'm taking a pre-apprenticeship course at JARTS to get a better idea of the trade. It's been helpful. I'll come away with a CFC ticket and Transportation of dangerous goods license. I also have my gasfitter C ticket. I guess that makes me somewhat useful right away for my future employer.

Does anyone have any other ideas for training that would be a benefit to my skills and, in turn, my future employer as well?

...and what is the market looking like these days for new helpers/apprentices trying to get started in the Lower Mainand? Some guys I have talked to say it's best to take any offer you can get whether it's residential, markets, whatever. Instructors have told me to hold out for a commercial/ industrial outfit as I could potentially learn more and they thought it was more up my alley.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to getting started and making progress into becoming a good reliable tech.

Thanks for any input you can offer everyone. This newbie really appreciates it!!

Post Likes
    Don't screw up and you wont be screwed later

Post Likes
    I wouldn't advise against passing up any related job opportunities at this point. Of course getting in with a commercial/industrial company would be better in my opinion, there's still a lot you could learn doing residential.

Just apply at the top commercial companies first and work your way down the list. You never know who might be looking for an apprentice.

Having said that, we are definitely not in the job market we were in 3-4 years ago so don't be too picky. I definitely didn't start with my "ideal" employer from day one, and gradually built up my skills to get the next opportunity. Just keep learning and pushing yourself to progress and you'll be fine.

Post Likes
    On the comm/indust refrigeration side that I do there is a very big shortage on experienced journey men.

That's the catch, they are looking for journey men at this time.

I would suggest to try to stay away for the residential stuff, you will be more valuable if you are good and can do refrigeration at an earlier and faster rate.

Find out if jarts is offering after hours night classes, usually reserved for members, if you pay and show the desire to learn more than the guy next to you it'll pay off.

good luck.

Post Likes

Cheers for the replies you guys!

I figured it won't be easy to find a spot somewhere at this time. I just have to keep on trying with putting out the resumes, networking and persevering and hope someone sees some good in me to give me a shot, or I get timing on my side.

I really want to get a chance and build some skills so staying positive and motivated is the only way I can think to go about it.

Thanks for posting!

Post Likes
    cooljob, I cannot message you. Can you email me?

it is mechatronics911atyahooodotcom

Post Likes
    I'm also looking to get into the Jarts Pre-apprentice program in September. Any idea how it was?

Post Likes
    Broad coverage of the basics of the trade. Time restraints of class time due to a short course length lend to a light scratching of the surface of what you need to know. It's no fault of JARTS, there's just so much to learn in refrigeration, it's
    impossible to get too in-depth in a mere 36 hours. Still learned good info though. Great to have evening classes if you're working days as well.
    BCIT has a pre-app course but it's 6 months full-time. Dont know anyone who has taken it. Was out of the question for me to take that time away from my bread and butter.

Post Likes
    cooljob, have you been in contact with other students of jarts? Did thay get a job?

I think to break into this market, you need to be a younger guy in his mid 30s. Just to much time to invest in training, then apprenticeship. But maybe I am wrong?

Do you have 3,500 dollars and willing to live in Penticton for a few months to get more advanced training? I think jarts is a little to short for training. But for me, I was helping out some of the other students with some of the mechanical items "I have a former mechanical background in aviation and electronics background"

Take a look at this http://webapps-1.okanagan.bc.ca/ok/c...hipCertificate

When was the last time a professional viewed your resume?

Post Likes
    I hope things out west are good for ya . Things in Ontario are just awful for anyone looking to get into the trade. I got my gas tickets and have good knowledge of the trade but theres just sooo many people who took second career to get out of automotive and got gas tech tickets that it has clogged the market or even made employers hesitant to hire people out of trade school. I studied 2 years at fanshawe to get into this trade and im having a super hard time finding anyone to take me on.
    There is just so many people with the exact same qualifications as me. I really wish I would have known that before i went to school but i guess I will always have my gas ticket and ODP/cfc ticket. Im 22 right now so i have time but i really want to start soon.

Post Likes

funny, your leaving the automotive trade because it has problems

I guess it is called glutville. I am tempted to go into a office, with luck, and interview a manager. Sounds kind of funny, but mabey I should have done this before the classes. BTW, I think you can use your gas and enviro tickets to work on AC systems, or propane injection on automobiles??

yes, 22 is very very young. Heck, I entered the military to become a helicopter mechanic. but wanted to peruse it more in the civilian world. Getting tired of the crap in the service Maybe should have changed careers into something little nicer like parachute tech. At least those guys are not banging ho's on some weekend night or getting in bloody fights when a party goes aray in the dorms. It was hard for me to get any kind of sleep on weekends in the military.

Post Likes
    Im not leaving automotive haha i have never and cant say i want to work in the auto industry.I just worked in a deli and we constantly had guys coming in to fix our walk in coolers and display units and i thought it seemed cool so I guess I should have thought over my options before taking the course. My neighbor and his brother one is a tin whacker and the other works for a big hvac and plumbing company were always telling me that i should get into the trade. I guess its like firefighting or teaching. Do my school keep studying up on the trade and do something else for 4 to 5 years until i find something.

Post Likes

wester, how much money did you invest?

I was warned it was hard to enter into the trade. How about you? what did you have to invest in it?

I am just going to stop at every company, and hopefully catch a few min with the managers. While I am at those locations, pass out some cards for my business to other business in the area, and write off the mileage on my truck.

Its really funny. I can really sell my self to a possible prospective customer in my current trade "telecom or auto", but yet, not land a interview for a hvac company Guess the companies do not want to hire some one who has enough drive to be a self reliant technician and a "get it done no matter what attitude"

Post Likes
    I took the Jarts pre-apprenticeship course. Its there just to give you the basics, but the best thing I got from that was a call from the union with a temporary job. That got my foot in the door with an hvac company. This was back in 2007 when hvac companies were hiring like crazy. Its not like that anymore....there is a glut of apprentices.

I do not recommend going to any school and spending 6 months taking a pre-apprentice hvac course. Its unnecessary and you will end up having to study the same crap over again if you become an apprentice.

Jarts is run by local 516, They are considered the authority when it comes to hvac/refrigeration in BC. Please do no waste your time and money on courses offered by other schools. They are out to get your money and you will not get better training than in Jarts.

I talked to local 516 recently. Its pretty tough out there right now for apprentices so new people trying to break into the trade are going to have a really tough time getting in.

Post Likes
    I only invested a few thousand so i mean its not a total loss ... i have my gas tech 2 odp and some basic experience im going to start looking into plumbing maybe soon seeing the hvac trade is dried up because of all the second career goons. Ya man i hear you and the problem is there are 100s of people with a gas technician liscence so as soon as there is a job opening the place gets a million resumes and its almost just the luck of the draw if your in the first 10 people you may get an interview. That is what sucks over the last few years when auto declined everyone just went out and got gas tickets so the industry is clogged up like jimstreet says. Hopefully now that things are turning around and factories are hiring again the people who just did it cause they were paid by the government to do it will be out and guys with an interest in doing this like you and I will have a better chance at starting.

Post Likes

wester, how is it in Ontario?

I agree, it probebly is gutted. Which means, I can wait as long as I am bringing in some other form of income to pay the bills which is important.

Did you say you have your Gas B ticket? Your location states you are in Ontario, how is the hvac/refrigeration market like there?

Post Likes
    Ya i have my gas b ticket however alot of people here do because of when automotive went down over the last few years the government paid for alot of people to go to school and get gas tickets. Stuff is slow both commercial and residential but seeing there are so many people out there it just means i really have to get out there and be more then just a resume im going to have to keep calling or emailing the owner to make sure he knows that im interested in the job. Thats what it will take. Even for you if you have no qualifications show up one day a 8 am on a monday morning and ask if they need any help this week. Just be super persistant. I know thats hard and im a very shy guy so its going to be difficult for me to do but if i want work in this field thats what its going to take.

Post Likes
    If you there are people looking for work right know Northwind Plumbing and heating in surrey is hiring. I had an interview with them but got nowhere with them but there craigslist add is still up.Maybe worth a shot who knows.

Post Likes

mabey you can give us a heads up on the questions thay asked?

I guess it would be helpful with the questions they are asking. Also, what exactly are thay looking for in a new candidate? Does he need to be fresh out of karts pre apprentice? Have some kind of trades experience? Did the company ask technical AC related questions? I do not think is a issue, but are you in your 20s,30s,40s? Is age really a issue in this industry anyway?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lortech View Post
    I guess it would be helpful with the questions they are asking. Also, what exactly are thay looking for in a new candidate? Does he need to be fresh out of karts pre apprentice? Have some kind of trades experience? Did the company ask technical AC related questions? I do not think is a issue, but are you in your 20s,30s,40s? Is age really a issue in this industry anyway?

Thanks
    They really didn't ask me many questions its an entry level job so no experience really required. When I went to school for Refrigeration there were people in there 40's and 50's in the class and they found jobs but that was in 2007 when companies needed people.I'm twenty five and now want to help other people get into the industry and would rather help other people land the jobs know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in