Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I took the Jarts pre-apprenticeship course. Its there just to give you the basics, but the best thing I got from that was a call from the union with a temporary job. That got my foot in the door with an hvac company. This was back in 2007 when hvac companies were hiring like crazy. Its not like that anymore....there is a glut of apprentices.

I do not recommend going to any school and spending 6 months taking a pre-apprentice hvac course. Its unnecessary and you will end up having to study the same crap over again if you become an apprentice.

Jarts is run by local 516, They are considered the authority when it comes to hvac/refrigeration in BC. Please do no waste your time and money on courses offered by other schools. They are out to get your money and you will not get better training than in Jarts.

I talked to local 516 recently. Its pretty tough out there right now for apprentices so new people trying to break into the trade are going to have a really tough time getting in.

I only invested a few thousand so i mean its not a total loss ... i have my gas tech 2 odp and some basic experience im going to start looking into plumbing maybe soon seeing the hvac trade is dried up because of all the second career goons. Ya man i hear you and the problem is there are 100s of people with a gas technician liscence so as soon as there is a job opening the place gets a million resumes and its almost just the luck of the draw if your in the first 10 people you may get an interview. That is what sucks over the last few years when auto declined everyone just went out and got gas tickets so the industry is clogged up like jimstreet says. Hopefully now that things are turning around and factories are hiring again the people who just did it cause they were paid by the government to do it will be out and guys with an interest in doing this like you and I will have a better chance at starting.

wester, how is it in Ontario?

I agree, it probebly is gutted. Which means, I can wait as long as I am bringing in some other form of income to pay the bills which is important.

Did you say you have your Gas B ticket? Your location states you are in Ontario, how is the hvac/refrigeration market like there?

Ya i have my gas b ticket however alot of people here do because of when automotive went down over the last few years the government paid for alot of people to go to school and get gas tickets. Stuff is slow both commercial and residential but seeing there are so many people out there it just means i really have to get out there and be more then just a resume im going to have to keep calling or emailing the owner to make sure he knows that im interested in the job. Thats what it will take. Even for you if you have no qualifications show up one day a 8 am on a monday morning and ask if they need any help this week. Just be super persistant. I know thats hard and im a very shy guy so its going to be difficult for me to do but if i want work in this field thats what its going to take.

If you there are people looking for work right know Northwind Plumbing and heating in surrey is hiring. I had an interview with them but got nowhere with them but there craigslist add is still up.Maybe worth a shot who knows.

mabey you can give us a heads up on the questions thay asked?

I guess it would be helpful with the questions they are asking. Also, what exactly are thay looking for in a new candidate? Does he need to be fresh out of karts pre apprentice? Have some kind of trades experience? Did the company ask technical AC related questions? I do not think is a issue, but are you in your 20s,30s,40s? Is age really a issue in this industry anyway?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lortech View Post
    I guess it would be helpful with the questions they are asking. Also, what exactly are thay looking for in a new candidate? Does he need to be fresh out of karts pre apprentice? Have some kind of trades experience? Did the company ask technical AC related questions? I do not think is a issue, but are you in your 20s,30s,40s? Is age really a issue in this industry anyway?

Thanks
    They really didn't ask me many questions its an entry level job so no experience really required. When I went to school for Refrigeration there were people in there 40's and 50's in the class and they found jobs but that was in 2007 when companies needed people.I'm twenty five and now want to help other people get into the industry and would rather help other people land the jobs know.

That is nice of you

Do you know what the pay scale was for the entry level position?

I have been thinking of doing refer work. Since I am a auto mechanic, my skills in repairing the small diesel engines and the AC system may come in handy.

I wonder who here that may be reading this, can say how much refer mechanics make?

ua payscale, refer work same as 5 ton a/c, 100ton chiller.

That is good to know.

I will have to look up the rates. Besides pay, what other benefits are there?

medical, rrsp., vacation

you mean extended medical?

Extended medical? paid or non paid vacation?

If this in vancoover you might need combat pay. Lol. Did you see how they acted like animals after Boston bruins kicked their buts to win the cup.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast