Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Metro Vancouver Job Outlook

Hi all. I appreciate you reading this post. So I'm taking a pre-apprenticeship course at JARTS to get a better idea of the trade. It's been helpful. I'll come away with a CFC ticket and Transportation of dangerous goods license. I also have my gasfitter C ticket. I guess that makes me somewhat useful right away for my future employer.

Does anyone have any other ideas for training that would be a benefit to my skills and, in turn, my future employer as well?

...and what is the market looking like these days for new helpers/apprentices trying to get started in the Lower Mainand? Some guys I have talked to say it's best to take any offer you can get whether it's residential, markets, whatever. Instructors have told me to hold out for a commercial/ industrial outfit as I could potentially learn more and they thought it was more up my alley.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to getting started and making progress into becoming a good reliable tech.

Thanks for any input you can offer everyone. This newbie really appreciates it!!

Don't screw up and you wont be screwed later

I wouldn't advise against passing up any related job opportunities at this point. Of course getting in with a commercial/industrial company would be better in my opinion, there's still a lot you could learn doing residential.

Just apply at the top commercial companies first and work your way down the list. You never know who might be looking for an apprentice.

Having said that, we are definitely not in the job market we were in 3-4 years ago so don't be too picky. I definitely didn't start with my "ideal" employer from day one, and gradually built up my skills to get the next opportunity. Just keep learning and pushing yourself to progress and you'll be fine.

On the comm/indust refrigeration side that I do there is a very big shortage on experienced journey men.

That's the catch, they are looking for journey men at this time.

I would suggest to try to stay away for the residential stuff, you will be more valuable if you are good and can do refrigeration at an earlier and faster rate.

Find out if jarts is offering after hours night classes, usually reserved for members, if you pay and show the desire to learn more than the guy next to you it'll pay off.

good luck.

Cheers for the replies you guys!

I figured it won't be easy to find a spot somewhere at this time. I just have to keep on trying with putting out the resumes, networking and persevering and hope someone sees some good in me to give me a shot, or I get timing on my side.

I really want to get a chance and build some skills so staying positive and motivated is the only way I can think to go about it.

Thanks for posting!

cooljob, I cannot message you. Can you email me?

it is mechatronics911atyahooodotcom

I'm also looking to get into the Jarts Pre-apprentice program in September. Any idea how it was?

Broad coverage of the basics of the trade. Time restraints of class time due to a short course length lend to a light scratching of the surface of what you need to know. It's no fault of JARTS, there's just so much to learn in refrigeration, it's
    impossible to get too in-depth in a mere 36 hours. Still learned good info though. Great to have evening classes if you're working days as well.
    BCIT has a pre-app course but it's 6 months full-time. Dont know anyone who has taken it. Was out of the question for me to take that time away from my bread and butter.

cooljob, have you been in contact with other students of jarts? Did thay get a job?

I think to break into this market, you need to be a younger guy in his mid 30s. Just to much time to invest in training, then apprenticeship. But maybe I am wrong?

Do you have 3,500 dollars and willing to live in Penticton for a few months to get more advanced training? I think jarts is a little to short for training. But for me, I was helping out some of the other students with some of the mechanical items "I have a former mechanical background in aviation and electronics background"

Take a look at this http://webapps-1.okanagan.bc.ca/ok/c...hipCertificate

When was the last time a professional viewed your resume?

I took the Jarts pre-apprenticeship course. Its there just to give you the basics, but the best thing I got from that was a call from the union with a temporary job. That got my foot in the door with an hvac company. This was back in 2007 when hvac companies were hiring like crazy. Its not like that anymore....there is a glut of apprentices.

I do not recommend going to any school and spending 6 months taking a pre-apprentice hvac course. Its unnecessary and you will end up having to study the same crap over again if you become an apprentice.

Jarts is run by local 516, They are considered the authority when it comes to hvac/refrigeration in BC. Please do no waste your time and money on courses offered by other schools. They are out to get your money and you will not get better training than in Jarts.

I talked to local 516 recently. Its pretty tough out there right now for apprentices so new people trying to break into the trade are going to have a really tough time getting in.

If this in vancoover you might need combat pay. Lol. Did you see how they acted like animals after Boston bruins kicked their buts to win the cup.

Actually, 99% of vancouverites are not like this

It was anarchist, that mingled in with the rest of the crowds, then went to split off and went behind dumpster, only to dress in black hoddies "caught on tape" and ohh, lets, see, guys under 22 that due to medical science, that say the brains are not fully developed and lack maturity "ever wonder why majority of criminals are in this age group?"

Anyway, most locals were appalled at the violence. There were of residence of the city that went down the next day to volunteer the clean up.

I think if there is going to be another celebration next time, keep it out of down town core and send them to a park with big tv screens!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiemanhvac View Post
    If this in vancoover you might need combat pay. Lol. Did you see how they acted like animals after Boston bruins kicked their buts to win the cup.
    that was dowtown, nobody works there, it needed a facelift anywhOO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast