Thread: 4160 volts

Hmm

Does anybody have information on maintenance on these type of starters, 4160 volts Cutler Hammer. Across the line and autotransformer. As far as megging and doing maintenance. Also what type of instruments to use.

the plant electricain certified on high voltage needs to rack out the starter and ground the stored energy in the motor.
    When you ask plant electrician to rack out the starter for service ask them to service the starter and meg the motor.
    4160 will reach out and grab ya most plants only want there electricians to service the starter

[Edited by john f1 on 06-19-2005 at 09:20 AM]

Its cheaper to pay a company that specializes in high voltage testing than to due it yourself. Its also safer. You dont use a meter to check for voltages they use a hot stick, you need special gloves, a special rubber mat, training and experience helps. Ive always found it interesting how you can "feel" the electricity as your hair stands up on your neck and arms when your working on a live 4160V circuit.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Hmm

Freq drives are now available for 4160 who wants to service them ?
    is this really happening or not

do not service for any reason.you must be a high voltage electrican.i know this because i am one.there is nothing in common with low voltage(anything below 600 vac is low voltage)anyone messing with that stuff that's not trained in it's service will get killed.it is that serious.just a friendly warning

listen to what they say, 4160 is a different planet.
    there but for the grace of god, go all of us

Thanks, I agree with you all. Just checking. Unfortunatly thes machines are in Mexico and there is not a whole lot of trained people there. I will bring it to there attention.

We service our own 4160 starters , we have approx 60 chillers with them.The only thing we don't do is hi pot test them as the company doesn't want to invest 8k in equipment so we sub that part out.

That's the problem with being out of the good ol' U.S.of A. Complain as we might OSHA keeps us safe at times.