Thread: Horizontal coil

Hi all,

Is this coil installed in horizontal position or it is installed in horizontal ductwork.
    http://www.usahomeair.com/productDet...&categoryID=41
    I came across one installation with very limited space above the furnace. Duct work branches from the trunk in every possible direction. Would make installation much better if I could put evaporator coil horizontally.
    Unit itself is Goodman CLT 13 SEER 2 or 2.5 ton.
    Any suggestions? Much appreciated in advance.

gm
    gm10

Horizontal position.

As in the way it looks in the pic, that is the way it is installed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I am kind of confused. Could you clarify for me? The way evaporator is shown on the picture, will fit into horizontal ductwork or in vertical?
    I have a regular upflow furnace with the trunk going up. I need to install evaporator right above the furnace. Will that coil work for me or not?
    Thanks for the help.

gm
    gm10

No. It is a horizontal only application coil. As stated, that coil is designed to set exactly the way it is pictured.

An 18" transition from a horizontal furnace to that coil is the normal installation.

If you installed that coil vertically on a vertical furnace, it would work. It would also be very messy.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

hey

That would work, but why not place a coil on the inside on plenum on top of furnace..

regards,
    kelvin

Sraight up.

You need a vertical coil then.

So NO, that coil won't work.

get the shortest uncased a coil you can, that will match the condenser.

Get use to it, next year it could get worst yet with the 13 seer law.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks everybody for the help.
    Unfortunately plenum above the furnace is very short and branches are attached to the plenum from from all the sides. So, A-coil blocks something no matter how I turn it.
    I will try to talk the owner into buying a new furnace. What he has now is 20 year old hi efficiency Heil. Probably one of the very first ones. Even 6 inches down will help.
    gm10

For Robin

Robin, I replace a ton of UC29 acoils and was wondering... Do you know if they will still be manufactured for my existing 1994 Goodman Heat Pumps. I have 276 of them in apts that I keep up. Thanks.

The U/UC series coils are no longer manufactured. The new CA series coils are called "Corporate Coils" in that they are rated for both Goodman and Amana brands. Here is a spec sheet for those coils;
    http://securenet.goodmanmfg.com/pdf/...Lit/SS-375.PDF

The Amana cased coils which are the DX coil portion of the Amana two piece air handlers will also soon be rated with the Goodman brand products.

By the way, most evap coil leaks are from improper evacuation on system intallation. If you look at the inside of any of the brazed joints on the coil, or even where the line is brazed to the coil stub, and there is any green there, the problem was that moisture was in the system at start up. That moisture, which contains oxygen, collects in the joints of the evap coil and eats pin holes in the copper.

UC29 A Coils

By the way, most evap coil leaks are from improper evacuation on system intallation. If you look at the inside of any of the brazed joints on the coil, or even where the line is brazed to the coil stub, and there is any green there, the problem was that moisture was in the system at start up. That moisture, which contains oxygen, collects in the joints of the evap coil and eats pin holes in the copper.

I suppose that being apartments they may not have pulled a very long vacuum and this is possible. My reason for replacing most of the ACOILS is the corrosion in the part of the coils that are in the drainpan. The capillary lines on the installed coils were IN the pan so they sit in condensate and then get pinhole leaks. Kind of easy to find when you pressure test just look and hear the leak at the capillary. I know I could fix these leaks but its not worth it on 11 year old equipment. Yes I have been using the UC29 replacement for awhile now but what I was wondering was will the size stay the same to fit in the Goodman Airhandler so I can get them up and running. Would suck to have to replace a perfectly fine airhandler cause the coil won't fit. Noticed on ALL newer coils that I get the capillary lines are bent way up so they don't contact the condensate water in the pans. Some were close and I just carefully bend them up so thats not an issue. What with all the leaks that I have fixed on these units in 9 years I would not be surprised if they didn't pull good evacuations before they charged them the first time. Only Ten or so Bristols changed in nine years 276 heat pumps... Don't talk about the time delay relays though. LOLYeah, I put Goodman in my Moms House.

I don't understand why some coils have issues with the distribution tubes being in the condensate while others do not. I am told it is due to corrosives in the airstream contaminating the condensate which in turn eats away at the copper.

Of course, a properly pitched drain pan in a properly maintained system does not hold enough water for the distributor tubes to set in

As for replacement coils for air handlers, I believe the "P" numbered replacement coils are available. You must order the coil as a part for the air handler, not as a UC coil.