I have quotes for 2 different systems one using a goodman ac 13 seer 2.5 ton and 90000btu furnace and the other using similar american standard components- I feel more comfortable with the Goodman technician should i be afraid of its comparable reliability?? for goodman versus most of the other name brands?

It's like comparing a Kia to a Honda. Both will get the job done, fit & finish are better on a Honda and it is more money. Now if you like the Goodman technicians, that's very important. A good install of low end equipment beats a lower quality install of better equipment.

Baldie! Have you seen Goodmans new line yet?

What is it that makes the new Goodman low end equipment? Is it because they use White Rodgers gas valves or maybe its the GE blower motors? Maybe its the all too common Norton ignitors? I sell mostly Goodman equipment, but I occasionally sell Trane/American Standard. I admit that the older Goodman stuff needed some work, but I don't see how people can still call Goodman equipment the low end stuff. In the past 6 months I've seen Goodman equipment being specified by architects and engineers as equipment that qualifies as equal to all the big names. Using parts that are manufactured and used in Trane/American Standard as well as alot of the others out there.

Take the CKL vs the Allegiance 11.

CKL has cheap stamped to, no venturi ring. Motor screws just stick out the top. The Allegiance 11 has a moulded top with venturi ring wrapped in plastic. The fan grille is coated wire which is less restrictive than the stamped top. There's a plastic cover over the fan mount. Paint job is superior on the A-S, it will look new for years. Ceramic coated screws, plastic bottom. The recip has a blanket around it, there are many advantages to the Climatuff over the Copeland recip.

The CLT is a nice unit though still not as well built as a higher end A-S. The CRT still has the cheap, stamped top.

Haven't had too much experience with the newest furnaces but still look at overall quality of construction. There's a reason A-S costs more. Goodman has come a long way while many mfrs. have cheapened to compete with it. I still don't see it on the level of American-Standard and it isn't priced to be. Goodman has Amana for that.

I hear Goodman actually has a QC department now instead of a dealer warranty claim form?

For the record, i installed a goodman system in my house (and many others over the years)& I have NEVER had a call back on any of them. I have only replaced the capacitor on my condenser section once. That is the only failure I have experienced with this unit in 9 years of duty. Routine maintenace aside it has been a solid performer. I agree it isn't pretty but IMHO, form always should follow function.

i wont get into witch is better because it all comes down to preferance and nothing else. both are only as good as the company that installs them
    go with the guy you trust and feel will do the best job and and not so much on name of brand

If you are in a hot humid climate, even if you don't care about fit and finish, the American Standard system will perform better than the Goodman system will.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Not if you install a TXV and properly adjust the airflow. As a matter of fact, the Goodman horizontal slab coil is really great at dehumidifying.

I have a Goodman heat pump at my parents condo which sits eight feet from a brackish water bay and a few blocks from the Atlantic Ocean. With the TXV and the VS blower set to 15% lower then the norm this thing just zaps the moisture out of the air.

In three months of inspections of equipment in one of the harshest salt water environments on earth, the A/S Trane coils faired out the best with...believe it or not...the Goodman coils coming in a very close second. The coils of most other brands were in really bad condition within 3-5 years.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I thought Goodman has a lifetime compressor warranty on anything above 12seer??? That in itself makes it better than American Standard.

What does a warranty mean? The Koreans have better warranties than the American and Japanese cars. Are they better?

Warranties are a great sales tool to consumers, but are usually not in reality a better value. They can however come in handy under certain circumstances.

For instance, if a person lives in a house with a properly installed and maintained HVAC system for less then it's warranty period, if a mishap such as a voltage issue or fluke event occurs, that person is going to better off for having the system with the longer warranty.

Of course, that person would need to be someone who stays in the same home for more then 5 years.

For someone who is not going to live in a house for more then 5 years, a better warranty means nothing to.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV