Just wondering if anyone else here is finding an enormous amount of these heat exchangers cracking in the upper flue passages? If so, what about G8's, 12's and 16's? I'm beginning to be concerned about all Duracurve models now, especially since it wasn't long ago that I thoought these heat exchangers were extremely durable. I've only recently condemned alot these G20 heat exchangers and was wondering if others were finding the same trend?

Thx in advance for any feedback. Any help is a big help!

Yes, we find a lot of them bad. Almost all of them crack in the same places.

Originally posted by swany
    Yes, we find a lot of them bad. Almost all of them crack in the same places.
    Yea, what he said.

I always see them cracked in the right cell in the back after the first turn to the right, and making its turn back to the left. (remove burner and angle flashlight to as high as you can really see without getting doing gymnastics)

Originally posted by docholiday
    I always see them cracked in the right cell in the back after the first turn to the right, and making its turn back to the left. (remove burner and angle flashlight to as high as you can really see without getting doing gymnastics)
    You need to get one of those long mirrors and a 2 D flashlight.

See a WH, look close. Most times with a good light, adjustable beam concentrated and the right angle I can see up there without removing the burner. Haven't yet found a homeowner willing to contort themselves to see them or to know what they are looking for. A G8? They are how old?

I always called them the Not-So Duracurve... There are people who would argue that these types of closed cracks are not a hazard but to me a crack is a crack no matter what.

Originally posted by lynn rodenmayer

You need to get one of those long mirrors and a 2 D flashlight.
    Why? I know where the crack is, and can see it without one.

noob makes a good point. All cracks are not created equally but who wants to take on the liability of suggesting a crack isnt big enough?