Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks beenthere and billva,

Just trying to learn some. Is the honeywell RTH8500D a good choice for my application?

I know that isn't the same VisionPro stat that the pros have... not sure if it's compatible with 2 stage HPs or not, but the pro version definitely is & has more features as well. I hate to say it, but call a pro & get a Honeywell TH8320/TH8321 installed... then it'll have a 5 year warranty on it and peace of mind knowing they installed it properly.

You don't have a 2 stage heatpump....you have a single stage with emergency back-up heatstrips(AKA auxilary heat). This will be a simple wiring job for a pro......and I highly recommend the visionpro stat, set it and forget it. your wiring color codes don't make sense, so it might be working now, but later on......
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Put the old 'stat back in (good thing you saved the wiring diagram) THEN call in a pro to change it. Have them check out your system with the old stat in place, tell them you changed it out, but then changed it back because you had the wrong 'stat. Be honest and upfront with them. If you caused a problem with your attempted install, it will be better for them to know what you did, so they can find and fix any problems faster. It will be cheaper for you , also because they will know what they have to do and not spend a lot of time tracing down possible problems.

Nothing worse than coming into a job that somebody else has worked on, it doesn't work right when you start, you change the questionable part, and it still doesn't work. Then you have to figure out what went wrong and when, all that takes time. If you can put the original "stat back, and the system again works as it should, it will be easy for the tech to install the new, correct digital 'stat.

Originally posted by rayr
    Why did we go to school??????
    Oh, so we could pay to learn and pass on the knowledge free to HO and not make any money..... I got it now.
    I am shocked and disappointed anyone is even answering this post- Isn't there a clear as day rule-

NO DIY!

This case is exactly why that rule is needed. As much as I like to help people- this guy is LOST.

no offense.

i didn't notice one poster give any step by step instructions, other than picking up the phone book and calling a pro.

did one get deleted that i missed?

Oh, so we could pay to learn and pass on the knowledge free to HO and not make any money..... I got it now.
    Show me the rule that says I can't tell a H. O. that he needs a different stat, or that he might have a heat pump instead of straight a/c, or what the meaning of the info on data plate is.

No where did I say what wire to hook where.
    Nor did I see anybody else do that.

Boss, BC1, Lusker, or Baldloonie would have deleted or closed the thread by now if anybody went too far.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by beenthere
    Show me the rule that says I can't tell a H. O. that he needs a different stat, or that he might have a heat pump instead of straight a/c, or what the meaning of the info on data plate is.

No where did I say what wire to hook where.
    Nor did I see anybody else do that.

Boss, BC1, Lusker, or Baldloonie would have deleted or closed the thread by now if anybody went too far.
    agreed, I digress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12