Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

Hey Folks,,
    My uncle called and said a friend of his has a "new" 30# jug of R-12,, Says he found it cleaning his late fathers garage.
    I offered him, Thru my uncle on the phone, $200 bucks for it, and he said okay. Sounds like a good deal to me, even though I do have 134, 66 and 39,,,, This would be cheaper and may help me out on some older equipment.

I said I wanted to check it out first. My inital thoghts were to weigh it and make sure its full,,,
    But what I am not sure about is I have heard that the valve color indicates if it is virgin, or not, or if it is a refillable container.
    He said it had a green valve, I think my last tank of 12 had a black one, but I dont know what or if that means anything.

Does anybody have any knowledge about this?
    I would appreciate any input here.

Thanks.

Jay.

i keep a jug of 12 around for those small machines
    that i want no problems with later..

If the drum shows no signs of being banged around a shop or the back of a truck ... it is probably good refrigerant inside.
    Of course for seven bucks you can run a moisture test on it yourself.
    And you can weight it. And you can compare it against your P/T readings.

Whether it is a bi flow valve or not has no value to me, if I were in your shoes.
    A good jug of R-12 is simply a good jug of R-12.... nothing more and nothing less.

Paying $200 for it is another story though.
    That's a little on the high side for me.

It's up to you to pay that much for something that never sold for more than a buck a pound, while it was still politically correct to use it.
    The rest of that inflated pricing is all "penalty taxes". Which equates to "False Taxation" to the people who must endure such bolder-dash!

George Washington and the whole Revolutionary ARMY put together never cost as much fighting the Brits as this Industry has spent overcoming the Montreal Protocol!!!

And even though The Crown lost their butt in the war ... they at least had their chance to stage a fight!
    They at least spoke their mind.
    They never once surrendered without taking a stand and putting up a resistance first.

Must be something "in the water" that makes us pacsfists...... cause we sure dont act like hero's any more! At least not like we used to in the begining....

Senior Tech Guest
    R-12 talking about R-12...kind of ironic ain't it...

Originally posted by R12rules

Paying $200 for it is another story though.
    That's a little on the high side for me.
    I agree it does seem high. but unless you have some incredible hook up, that price, if it is R-12, is a pretty good price compared to most other alternatives,,, 134, Mp's-39&66, 414 etc.. and Like I said, It could help me out on some older equipment.

I did like your suggestion about having the $7 dollar test,,,, But where in Phoenix could I get that done? Never had to do that before.

Plus dont get me started on how this country is seeming lately. lol.
    Thanks R12

It's sad to say, but as much as I once loved R12 as the best refrigerant I've ever worked with, I now have no use for it in my business. Numerous times in the past five years or so I've had guys wanting to sell me R12 expecting I'd jump on it at any price.....but they are sent away quite disappointed.

To me it would be worthless also, and for several years at that. Green valve is the later model cylinder though, non-refillable. Black = refillable thin walled potential bomb, that would have to be 10 years old or more in Canada.
    So potentially the Green valve = virgin refrig. though.
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

Same here. CFCs are totally useless.

Originally posted by mccool
    To me it would be worthless also, and for several years at that. Green valve is the later model cylinder though, non-refillable. Black = refillable thin walled potential bomb, that would have to be 10 years old or more in Canada.
    So potentially the Green valve = virgin refrig. though.
    Don't forget the red valves.

Do they even use red valves on anything anymore???????

$200 for 30lb of R-12? The last price i got was in excess of $900.00! i would say its a bargan of a lifetime!!

Originally posted by CoolCopperUSMC

I did like your suggestion about having the $7 dollar test,,,, But where in Phoenix could I get that done? Never had to do that before.
    Call A.R.S. or R.S.D. they both have outlets up there in Phoenix.

Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Originally posted by icemeister
    Numerous times in the past five years or so I've had guys wanting to sell me R12 expecting I'd jump on it at any price.....but they are sent away quite disappointed.

Yeah, that was my first reaction, but then I thought that perhaps I could I could use it for leak repairs or something to save time on older operational units, so I called back and offered $200, and they said cool.

Like RSP4834 said, it would be a good deal. Especially since it has the green valve, I was worried about it being something else. so thanks there on that IceMeister!

So since the valve is green, I probably wont need to test it, but thanks for the information Yuma, I am still going to inquire next time I go to ars.

I feel better about buying that jug now, thanks guys.

Jay.

Ps. Dave, what were the Red valves for?

Unhappy WHOOPS!!!

Sorry MCCOOL, I meant to Thank you for the information about the valves.. but wrote IceMeister, Oops, sorry.

Seriously want to thank everybody though,

Thanks'
    Jay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast