Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frastrated

Probably a nuisance leak

Schrader valve is probably leaking during off season. Change cores, bring unit to charge, install caps with the neoprene o-rings.

rob10,
    this is exactly what I will be doing from now on. If pressure is little bit lower (5-10psig) , recover, replace core valves, vaccuum, re-charge.

I told my boss, I will not waste time cutting pipes, install access valves, .... come back next day, ... etc if the pressure is negligably lower.

Excuse me if I am off base here, but is this a heat pump and does it have an accumulator?? If it is a HP and no accum. then it may just have to be charged differently for heat & cool. Probably a Rheem or Rhuud ???

No, it is not heat pump, there is no accumulator, no Rhuud/Rhemm it is Bryant 2 ton split A/C

Originally posted by bornriding
    Excuse me if I am off base here, but is this a heat pump and does it have an accumulator?? If it is a HP and no accum. then it may just have to be charged differently for heat & cool. Probably a Rheem or Rhuud ???
    If you have units that need a different charge for Heat and cool than there is something wrong. All Rheem/Ruud have accumalators on there HP's.

When I find this problem it is usually because the airflow is not correct.

For some reason Rheem/Ruud has a bad rep because it is not very forgiving. Most of the time the install instuctions were not followed and it's an install error.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Originally posted by bananaboy
    rob10,
    this is exactly what I will be doing from now on. If pressure is little bit lower (5-10psig) , recover, replace core valves, vaccuum, re-charge.

Get a CRT, and you don't have to recover or vac the system just to replace a valve core.

Saves a fortune in time and money.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

A good Core Removal Tool is a god-send. Quick, clean and efficient. I have seen some coworkers fight faulty Carrier service valves with a simple 39cent core tool and an adjustable wrench instead of a refer wrench.
    meanwhile, back at the ranch.....

Core Removal Tool

Get the one with the ball valve. I don't have the one with the t on it for the pull down...Does it save time? Here is a link http://www.yellowjacket.com/PDF/LCD_Vac_Gauge.pdf

[Edited by nc hvacman on 06-18-2005 at 07:35 PM]

Senior Tech Guest
    Gas and go...why call the boss...

recover and evacuate and virgin refrigerant just to replace schrader cores seems a little unfair to the coustomer. why not pull it back and lock it down change the cores evauate and release the same refrigerant back into the system then ajust the charge from there. best yet a removal tool 2 minutes and you can change both valves and be on your way.

unfair = almost criminal really

If you know the pumpdown method that definitely would be the way to go if you don't have the Valve Core Removal Tool- I always wondered who invented the valve core removal tool that doesn't lose the charge and lets you change the core. I suspect whomever did is sitting pretty now.

Tin: i wont say anything about your memory if you edit your post and put a period in front of that 4 oz figure.

do you know how much 4 ounces can cost a guy these days?

Originally posted by karsthuntr
    Originally posted by bornriding
    If you have units that need a different charge for Heat and cool than there is something wrong. All Rheem/Ruud have accumalators on there HP's.

When I find this problem it is usually because the airflow is not correct.

For some reason Rheem/Ruud has a bad rep because it is not very forgiving. Most of the time the install instuctions were not followed and it's an install error.
    That static regain connection causes people some fits on those little air handlers.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast