Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: vent free

I just converted to gas from oil. I eventually want:

Gas stove & gas H20 heater. (and direct vent FP if possible & if I ever come up w/xtra$)

Anyway, this discussion about unvented stoves & H20 heaters has me concerned.

what kind of stove do I ask for? How will I know its vented outside. Are you talking about an exhaust fan over the stove that vents to the outside?

what about H20 heaters. My contractor sd he wd line the chimney to vent the H20 heater. Are yall talking about something else that needs to be done in addition?

Also, I have a CO2 moniter from Costco. My contractor sd that wd be fine for my new gas furnace. Is it ???

thanks,
    Lit'l Cat

choices

Lil' Cat, I'm sorry but some of your abbreviations make it tough reading.

Gas stoves typically do not have an integral vent pipe attached. The venting is left up to a separate hood/fan mounted above the burners and hopefully someone will turn it on. Yes, a liner is always a good idea for gas appliances vented into masonry chimneys as long as it is sized and installed properly. You need to get your terminology correct-- it is a CO alarm, not CO2. You are exhaling CO2 right now. As far as how good your Costco alarm is, I guess something is better than nothing. It should be listed to UL 2034 but just understand those UL listed units aren't really sensitive enough. If you really want professional protection, you'll need to spend about $185 at the Nat'l Comfort Institute. Their alarm protects against chronic low level CO.

If you are looking at fireplaces, you want one listed to ANSI Z21.88. If it says Z21.11.2b, it is ventfree. Go to http://www.fireplaces.com for some choices.
    HTH,

Hi Hearthman,

As you can tell, chemistry definately wasnt my major in school.

Actually, Im at my Mom's & my brother was cooking on her gas stove w/o the exhaust on (3 burners & the oven working) & I actually started to smell a strong wiff of gas. I just went in & turned on the exhaust over the stove. Thanks!! Plus I told him to always use the exhaust from now on!

Quick ? about fireplace inserts. I currently have a 'normal' wood burning FP & wd like to install a gas direct vent insert. My idea is to cut the bricks for the vent instead of liner all the way from the top. But the FP co. that did my mom's condo sd you cant cut thru the back wall of the FP to vent it.

what do you think & also what are some good inserts to consider. (My mom has a heat-n=glo)

As always, thanks again for all your advice

Confused doing it the hard way

Why would you want to do unnecessary surgery on a masonry fireplace? All you have to do it shove an isert into the Fp opening, connect the aluminum liners and gas. No need to blow holes in walls. The other thing is dimensions: inserts fit fireplace openings. Let's say you were given a typical gas direct vent Fp. It is twice as tall the insert. It was designed for typical frame construction-- not as an insert. How are you going to close in the gaps around it? Inserts have trim panels to do this. Please do yourself a favor and don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Ok Hearthman, I admit my thinking is a bit bizarre & I am wrong. Can you reccomend any gas direct vent inserts that will fit into a masonry fireplace?

gas inserts

see the link in my post above. The Heat & Glo Firebrick inserts

Originally posted by lit'l cat
    Ok Hearthman, I admit my thinking is a bit bizarre & I am wrong. Can you reccomend any gas direct vent inserts that will fit into a masonry fireplace?
    I'm a homeowner who just had an insert installed. After checking the major brands on the internet and in the local stores, including Travis Industries (Fireplace Extrordinair, Lopi, and Avalon), Heat & Glo, Regency/Hampton, Lennox, Vermont Castings, and Jotul, I settled on a Mendota. I like having the dual burners, two blowers, and the most beautiful range of optional fronts.
    Al

I love the response about your mendota! It's not even cold out yet and you enjoy it. You don't even know how much more you will enjoy it until it's 28 degrees out and you're nice and toasty inside.

All of the brands you mention are very good too and there is definitely something out there for everyone.

For the shopper out there, go to a professional and give them a test ride before deciding which to get - just combine a good balance of performance with cosmetic design.

You will be delighted.

Wink good advice

I have to agree with my competitor, hackman. Most all gas inserts are good. Almost anybody's insert beats the hell out of anybody's vented or VF logs as far as being practical.
    Some like chocolate, some like vanilla....

Like hackman said, any stove shop worth their salt will guide you in your choice. Also, nothing beats seeing the flames and finished look. The most important thing is that you, as the consumer, make an educated decision.

Happy hunting!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234