I have been reading the posts concerning vent free fireplaces. I installed one in my home two years ago. I am reading the horror stories on this site. I installed mine in my basement in order to make it comfortable down there when my family wants to use the rec. room. I may run if for an hour or two a few times a week during the winter. I do notice a faint odor when it is used but it is very similiar to the faint odor I get when using my gas range/stove in the kitchen. I have a CO detector in the room with the fireplace. There has never been an alarm condition. My house was built in 1948 and is not the most energy efficient home around. (single pain windows, little insulation, etc.) Am I really puting my family at risk using this thing? I realize these things are not designed as a primary heat source, but for applications such as mine I found it to be very convenient. Since CO has no odor any odors from the unit must come from the impurities in the air. Has anyone ever used there gas dryer when there was wet paint in the house. The clothes will smell real bad. I am thinking this is a similiar condition with the odor from the fireplace. Anyone have any thougts on this subject? Thanks.