Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    When it comes to money, it seems everything goes up except for the pay checks !! Our costs are rapidly increasing, so therefore our price must reflect that. People don't want to pay period, expesially when they think it's expensive.

And when you add the variables in like all this do it your self crap on TV, things get worse. Now i like the idea of someone trying to build little suzzie her own toy box. And I think it's cool that Joe Smo is attempting his own shed. But, when Harry decides to throw a set of guages on his condenser......I draw the line.

Now I do work for one of the TV shows, and I see what goes on behind the scenes. I also watch it on TV. I also see old timers get real mad when they do shows about stuff like say replacing your own toilet, or putting in a jet tub. These guys feel that it's a job for a profesional, and they have no buisness telling HO how to do it.

I see how things affect the trades lately and your all right. I have been talking about this for about a year now with my boss and other subs. There is a definite shift to the "know it all" HO who wants to not only be your client but also your superviser.

I don't know if it's all the TV and magazines that are out now instilling confidence in HO. Or maybe the fact that in todays age where everything else is getting tight, maybe the trades are going under the microscope now. Maybe it's just the simple fact that people are over-extending themselves alot more than in the past, which seems to be the trend now.

All I know for sure is that trades people are the ones with the skills and knowledge to get the job done right. If Harry HO wants to do something rediculous like his own central system....let him. I might not have gotten his job....but then again maybe I didn't want it.

Wait one minute Steveio
    You say the fence costs you 4300-4500 total install with your time being worth nothing to set all this up and run the job and you have bids at 5500 or so how do you get 70% profit off of that ???, or you are assuming that the fence guy is getting a much better deal on materials than he acually getting?? I will tell you this there are guys selling units on E-bay for darn near cost and that does not count when you start adding all the extras and then the tools needed to install a unit correctly, or provide an extended warranty.
    But back to the fence guy,what about the fence strecher, pipe benders and all the other tools you need to do that job ?? you figured for that right? Im not a fence installer but dont be sure that your fence guy is out of line unless you know he is.
    Homeowners do not have a clue on what it costs to put a guy in the field ( any guy ]. But hey I am not here to hassle you, build your fence or install your unit and I hope it works out but If I cant clear a good NET profit on a job (and if it was near 70% net. This board would all be on vacation ) Im gone and so is my ,liability ins.,workmans comp.,Reputation and warranty and 10 years of honoring them.
    Later

Originally posted by brian in mass

All I know for sure is that trades people are the ones with the skills and knowledge to get the job done right. If Harry HO wants to do something rediculous like his own central system....let him. I might not have gotten his job....but then again maybe I didn't want it.
    I absolutely agree with you. You are the one with the skills and the knowledge to get the job done right. I wouldn't dare try to install, fix, maintain or do anything but sweep debris off my heat pumps.

As for the fence, The quote for the fence material was $3477.00. I was hoping to have a fence installed for around $4500. The installed quote from two different companies was $5500 and $6056 using the exact same material. These are 6 foot aluminum sections with posts, not chain link. I do feel confident in my ability to use an auger, a level and string and mix concrete to install my own fence to save $2000 to $2500. I would never do the same with an Air conditioner.

Originally posted by stevio

As for the fence, The quote for the fence material was $3477.00. I was hoping to have a fence installed for around $4500.
    Hey stevio where did you get your fence stuff anyway? I just got my pricing and it looks absolutly ridiculous. 200 ln ft = $8,000 installed.

Or send me email:
    browntigerus@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Brian

When it comes to money, it seems everything goes up except for the pay checks !! Our costs are rapidly increasing, so therefore our price must reflect that. People don't want to pay period, expesially when they think it's expensive.

There is a definite shift to the "know it all" HO who wants to not only be your client but also your superviser.

All I know for sure is that trades people are the ones with the skills and knowledge to get the job done right.

Brian, I think more homeowners are educating themselves before actually making such a huge investment (i.e HVAC system). It's not that people dont want to pay, or only want the cheapest price out there, it's just that when one has a specified amt available in their budget to spend, then that person obviously wants the the "most bang for the buck".

Look at the postings on this site, some homeowners can afford the best of the best. (Look at some of the jobs posted on the wall of pride or read posts about homeowners with 3000-4000 sq ft homes) Most of us however are your typical middle class homeowners, that can barely meet all our reg. monthly expenses (which keep going up) then have a major system failure (HVAC) that really wasnt planned for. ("Oh, it can get by one more season while I save" then psych, it just dies on you)

Maybe one day, I can be in the position to get what I want (as opposed to what I need)

Also, I am not a "know it all" homeowner but I sure want my install to qualify for the "Wall of Pride" Yes, I will take a day off work when my install is done. Yes, I will watch. Will I supervise, of course not, however, if something looks real bad ("Wall of Shame" material) I will ask why it was done in that manner.

I do agree that "trades people are the ones with the skills and knowledge to get the job done right" But with so many tradespeople out there, the problem is weeding out the ones that do good work from all the others.

(this is true though with any profession)

I wish some of the 'wall of Pride' posters lived close by, this would make my choice alot easier.

people want cheapest price possible this started about 6-12 months ago, because nobody in the neighborhood know the a/c unit might be low end, so they save a few hubdred bucks get excited about it, you get what you pay for, yet usually there is a Lexus, BMW, SUV or mecedes in driveway to show off for the neighbors, that they got $$$$$$, its all about the look, tehn they say to me can you bill me I dont get paid till next week start of the look at bwhat I have generation! Good luck tight wads, people dont noe also that in alot of towns there s a black list, contractors send to each other, you get stiffed or talked down or hars to deal with you on the list Good LUck!

Getting the most "bang for your buck" is not a bad idea. I never thought that. But what the problem is....is that even your most basic a/c system has minamum requirments.
    There are certain things you can't "skimp" on. For example the size of the unit. You can change brands for something less expensive and go with cheap grills. Maybe even forgo that nice filter you wanted.....but you must have the basic design right.

And that's where the problem starts. Even if a contractor strips his price down to the lowest he can by using "cheaper" equipment and materials, he still can only go so low.

Even those prices are getting rejected by some HO's !! I have guys telling me all the time that the tried to give someone a real good break to help them out and they still where shocked at the price. My own company tried to take care of a good client who always refers us to other people. We gave him a super deal on a small 1.5 ton system. He said it was too much for a/c. We were shocked. We figured he'd be pleased that it was so low. Not to mention that a 1.5 ton system is not expensive to begin with.

Things are just getting too expensive material-wise. After adding ecerything in that you have to to make a buck, it's just not worth it to some HO. Why spend thousands when I can toss a couple of window shakers in ? And I can't blam them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123