I Read an article about defective compressor IN the rses journal. I know open windigs, bad valves, overheated and dirty condensers {overheat} can damage a compressor. undercharge and dirty condensers will cause the compressor to overheat, and trip on overload.if the overload contacts are close then you check the windings. over charge will flood the comp and damage the valves. my question is is there anythig else i forgot that will cause a comp to go bad. Second QUESTION what is an oem tempture control when replacing temp control for a rech in cooler.

Dear Green_apprentice,

QUESTION 1:

Let’s just review your list of things that can go wrong with a compressor. These are just the “symptoms” or “results” of other things that can cause a compressor to go bad. You stated only two, they are:

Open windings
    Bad valves

Let’s see if we can expand on this list a bit:

Open windings, weak windings, grounded windings, shorted windings, weak valves, broken valves, excessive noise from compressor, locked up rotor, weak internal overload, open internal overload, unseated internal pressure relief valve, broken shaft, rods, or pistons, loose stators, and so on. This list can easily be expanded to include any number of other symptoms that a service technician might encounter in his diagnosing of a typical refrigeration system.

As for the list of possible culprits to the compressor’s demise, that list can be almost endless in nature.

QUESTION 2:

Oem stands for “original equipment manufacturer”, which means that the part or component that you are looking for is a propriety part and needs to be secured from the manufacture of the equipment you are working on because off the shelve parts will not work in it’s place.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

Green:I learned a long time ago from a old timer I was his apprentice that a compressor just doesn't fail it failed for a reason could be electrical or mechanical the most important thing is why did it fail? Will it fail again and what can i do to prevent it from failing? The solution and or cause of problem is up to you to find it can be tricky to find or very easy at any cost find the problem don't install a compressor and walk away that drives me crazy when guy's do that!! Lastly Green superheat/subcool two very useful tools to tell you whats going on with the system.

Dear Service guy,

In a word….yep!

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

Smile

THANkS JOHN AND SERVICE GUY you guys are one of the best....thanks again.

[Edited by green_apprentice on 06-17-2005 at 11:58 PM]